Turkey

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Turkey

Post by JudyN »

I've finally worked out that it is turkey that's been causing Jasper a few tummy upsets recently. I had my suspicions, gave him some last night, and he growled at OH at bedtime (last time that happened he'd had an upset tum) and he doesn't want his breakfast this morning.

Is it common for dogs to be sensitive to turkey? Also, what are the chances that he is only sensitive to this brand (Albion minced turkey), maybe to do with how the turkeys are fed/medicated, rather than to all turkey?

This only seems to have developed since he had a sedative and anaesthetic a few weeks back - can intolerances develop later in life, and why would they appear after surgery? He would have had an antibiotic as well, which might be a more likely culprit than the sedative or anaesthetic.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Re: Turkey

Post by Nettle »

Intolerances can appear at any time of life.

Anaesthetic is a 'controlled death' to which sighthound types are especially sensitive.

Any upsets, physical or emotional, can lead to digestive upsets.

Drugs can lead to digestive upsets, especially those that affect liver and kidneys, which includes most painkillers.

Turkeys have to be intensively medicated in order to survive. I worked with a small flock of free-range turks for a few years, and though medication is kept to a minimum and legislatively controlled, and there is a withdrawal period before they are killed, they do take in an awful lot of meds compared to other free-range meat.

So really he was odds-on to have an upset tummy, and given the way you look after him, he should soon be over it.

Maybe try probiotics to speed things up a bit. If I were a vet I'd recommend Milk Thistle capsules too, but I'm not so I mustn't.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Re: Turkey

Post by JudyN »

Thanks Nettle :D I'll see how he goes - he only went a few yards on his morning walk but then wanted to play in the garden, and his rear end hasn't been affected... yet... :wink: Last time, probiotics (Canikur) didn't seem to do much but I found that bone & bone marrow dust (recommended by the local raw food company) firmed things up a treat.

Shame I have about 14 packs of turkey after the mix-up with the pet shop - I think I might Freecycle them.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009