Diet for convalescing raw-fed dog

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Diet for convalescing raw-fed dog

Post by JudyN »

After his anaesthetic on Thursday, Jasper's off his food and has an upset tum (diahorrea). Wuf Wuf, it seems you were right about giving bone-in mince not being a good idea!

I don't think he's bad enough to need chicken broth - although he doesn't want his mince he's still on the scrounge for leftovers and wants dried chicken treats. I've fished some chicken breasts out of the freezer for later, but with a raw-fed dog I'm not sure if it's better to cook them or not, and whether to mix them with rice to bulk them out a bit. Naturally, most vets would recommend cooked chicken & rice, and most raw-feeding communities would throw their hands up in horror at the very idea of cooking the chicken!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Theo400

Re: Diet for convalescing raw-fed dog

Post by Theo400 »

Hi JudyN

im in the same boat as you on New years eve Theo started throwing up and had a bad tum and I took him to the vets when they opened on the 2nd and they did x-rays but showed nothing and she did blood test's and still nothing all the blood test's came back saying he was healthy so she was puzzled and so was I :shock: . the only thing the vet could think of is his diet I laughed at her but she said even though she agrees with raw as she feeds her dogs raw, she said it wont agree with every dog so she told me try him on a different food but what I asked her as he wont touch kibble and the wet I fed him he ate every time and loved it but he is allergic to rice. she asked what I use to feed I said wainwrights and she said that they are doing a grain free version know that I could try. so that day I went to pets@home and brought the grain free and he ate it and his vomiting and bad tummy have stopped and since the 3rd he has been fine again. he dose seem a lot happier now he is getting wainwrights again as he did not like I took it away from him. it was hard trying to tell him he's allergic to rice. :lol:

just incase here's the ingredient's and they come in three Varity's :

Turkey: Turkey (72%), Peas (5%), Carrots (2%), Sweet Potato, Seaweed, Vitamins, Minerals, Alfalfa, Flaxseed, Chicory Root, Yucca, Parsely, Rosemary, Garlic.

Lamb: Lamb (72%), Peas (5%), Carrots (2%), Sweet Potato, Seaweed, Vitamins, Minerals, Alfalfa, Flaxseed, Chicory Root, Yucca, Parsely, Rosemary, Garlic.

Rabbit: Rabbit (72%), Peas (5%), Carrots (2%), Sweet Potato, Seaweed, Vitamins, Minerals, Alfalfa, Flaxseed, Chicory Root, Yucca, Parsely, Rosemary, Garlic.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

As a dedicated raw feeder, I am quite happy to give cooked food if a sensitive tummy demands it, or even if I simply have enough bits and bobs to make a nice casserole.

I am not keen on feeding rice - I think it's one of those things "everyone says" with no real proof of usefulness. However, a stew of meat, green veg and something like pumpkin or apple always seems to go down well. I can't remember if Jasper likes plain yoghurt, but if he does it's a useful extra. If he will take honey, that seems to help also.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Teatime arrived too soon for your replies, I'm afraid - but thank you!

In the end I cooked the chicken and mixed it with rice and yoghurt, and he really liked it. He wasn't quite his normal self - the chicken was fully cooked before he started whining and looking hopeful - but it all disappeared. Same again for breakfast tomorrow (as I prepared two days' worth).

I agree the rice is unlikely to be of any particular benefit, but I'm hoping it will make him feel a little fuller. I'll give him some honey too - he has just licked clean my bowl of syrup sponge & clotted cream which isn't quite the same thing... but I'd more or less licked it out first myself so I don't think it'll do him any harm :wink:
Steve29

Post by Steve29 »

Having worked in the agricultural industry I would recommend cooking all food for your dog unless you are sure of the source. Without getting into the way meat is raised today it is enough to know that meat processing is not what it should be. Contamination of meat in processing facilities is commonplace. I know that the raw diet is the rage, but people do not realize they are exposing their dog to possible harmful pathogens. It would be best to source your meat from a local farmer.
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

I totally missed this post Judy I hope he's feeling better now.

I know this is not part of the raw feeding "recommended" foods but I give Honey some porridge (made with water) with a little yogurt and a tiny bit of honey when she's feeling unwell. It seems to go down very well and settles her tummy (and her poops are always fine afterwards). She does not tolerate rice at all and seems to know this as she doesn't seem to like it at all. I know she doesn't tolerate it as before she was on raw I had established that it was the rice in dry food that made her not eat it/have sloppy poos if she did.

I also have no problem feeding cooked food, thb I don't think it can make enough of a difference to make it "bad" for them and sure isn't variety the spice of life :wink: .
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Asking around, it seems a lot of raw feeders are happy to feed ill dogs cooked meat, mainly combinations of chicken/white fish/tripe/rice/potato/yoghurt/pro(pre?)biotics/Tree Barks powder. I was going to buy the latter two but the pet shop was out of one and doesn't sell the other...

Jasper's still got a bit of a chicken korma bum but I'm not sure if that's because his digestion isn't back to normal or just the effects of what he has been having, with no bone to firm things up. Back to bone-in chicken mince tonight to see how he goes.