Dental Chews Advice

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

maryandchili

Dental Chews Advice

Post by maryandchili »

Hello dog people,
My dog loves to chew and I have been trying to find safe and healthy alternatives to rawhide. He is a 20 lb rat terrier mix and usually finishes his chew treats in one sitting, especially if they are soft enough. I would like to stay away from plastic nylabones because I don't want him to ingest any small pieces that break off. I have given him raw marrow bones. He is more interested in cleaning out the marrow and doesn't really chew on the bone for too long. Plus, the calcium turns his poop hard and chalky and I am not sure if this is a digestive issue or not. I have also tried himalayan chews and antlers, but these are too hard (and so are the raw marrow bones) and I am worried he will chip a tooth. I have heard of pig's snouts and other animal parts, but I haven't tried any yet. Anyone has experience with these? Can anyone recommend good and healthy chews that will last long enough to clean his teeth, but will not potentially chip or crack his teeth? Any input is very much appreciated!!
Nettle

Re: Dental Chews Advice

Post by Nettle »

How about a whole raw chicken wing? You might have to introduce it piece by piece or he might get the idea right away. Chalky poop is not a problem - quite the reverse as it cleans out the anal glands.

Be very careful with pet shop treats - most are now sourced from China and therefore risky in terms of added chemicals.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

I'm no where near as knowledgeable as Nettle (although definitely agree) but have you possibly tried hooves? If you raw feed anyway there are some companies that also supply hoof. They last my little 9kg boy a few days but I imagine a larger dog could get through it all in one go :)
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Since you are looking for a good chew without all the hardness of a raw bone, consider bully sticks. The company I buy from (Best Bully Sticks) offers a variety of sizes from thin to monster and several thicknesses in between. They are all natural and they have tons of choices (even other chew products besides bully sticks). I buy the 6" standard size for my dog who is about 20 pounds. She can go through a bully stick that size in about an hour, but she is not an aggressive chewer. She often doesn't finish the whole bully stick in one sitting though. All that gnawing tends to lull her to sleep in about 20 minutes. :wink: :lol:
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Steve29

Post by Steve29 »

I know people who use pig ears for dog chews. They are like anything else some dogs love them some don't. Pig ears from the US are supposed to be inspected, but do not know about foreign ones.
maryandchili

Post by maryandchili »

Thanks all! I never considered raw chicken for fear of salmonella..will freezing it first help? I will definitely try Hooves and pigs ears/snout (he's not the picky type when it comes to chews). Bully sticks are great, but it takes him all of 5 minutes to chow down a portion :)

I am very careful when I buy anything that goes into his mouth from the pet store..that was the first thing my vet warned me about when I took him for his first visit. Thanks again for the great suggestions!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Freezing chicken won't kill salmonella, but the risk to the dog is extremely low - dogs have a short digestive tract and strong stomach acid designed to eat raw meat. There is a very small theoretical risk, but then dogs can also get salmonella from kibble.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009