Losing top coat

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: Losing top coat

Post by Nettle »

I just wondered if it was in fact normal for baby Pekes to blow out coat at a certain age. Changing coats itches.....
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Nettle wrote:I just wondered if it was in fact normal for baby Pekes to blow out coat at a certain age. Changing coats itches.....
I will definitely compose an email later and see what she has to say; it can't do any harm at least
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Not yet sent them an email :oops: I have a group report due at uni next week and I'm a bit of a control freak :oops:

We were back at the vets today. It's not any obvious allergy / mite etc. but could still be allergies although she's still inclined to think fleas. We've got some flea tablets (the name escapes me but it starts with a B) that last 3 months at a time to give them and the cats have been given stronghold. Laufey also has steroids to take for a month (1 a day for a week, 1/2 a day for a week, 1/2 every other day for two weeks) to stop his itching and then see if the itching starts again; as MiMi isn't itching we're wondering if maybe his continued itching is more to do with his obsessive personality than "I'm really itchy". If this works I will concede fleas so long as this stops.

As for MiMi's hair loss, the vet doesn't see many pekes (and even fewer that aren't just shaved off) so we're still unsure of the root cause but are thinking that it could be puppy coat / seasonal shed and the itching. She's run a comb through her and isn't concerned about the amount of fur she got off her so it's possibly us over-reacting.

They're back in a month to see how it's going but I'll probably continue to keep this thread "alive" as a picture diary of her fur situation
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hi Delladooo

the other members are right it could be her growing out of her puppy coat into the adult coat. Theo never had that much loss but if it helps my mothers GSD that she has now who is 6 is a long coated and when he was 14weeks stated loosing his fur and she kept telling the vet there is something wrong as he was nearly bold :shock: and the vet told her not to worry and sure enough he lost a LOT of coat but at 23weeks was growing his coat back and he has a very lovely long coat. it could be that but it might not?

all the best Theo and Sarah :)
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Theo400 wrote:Hi Delladooo

the other members are right it could be her growing out of her puppy coat into the adult coat. Theo never had that much loss but if it helps my mothers GSD that she has now who is 6 is a long coated and when he was 14weeks stated loosing his fur and she kept telling the vet there is something wrong as he was nearly bold :shock: and the vet told her not to worry and sure enough he lost a LOT of coat but at 23weeks was growing his coat back and he has a very lovely long coat. it could be that but it might not?

all the best Theo and Sarah :)
Good to know it's not just us that had an extreme reaction to the sight then! We'll give it a while and see if it comes back, she just looks a right mess at the minute that I don't like to be seen with her for people thinking she's neglected. Her harness covers most of her sides but now its spreading there's not much protection

Edit: The flea tablets are called Bravecto
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Just a quick update; I've still not heard from her breeder but I messaged a peke rescue group who pointed me to an excellent breeder with lots of experience. She's been very helpful and she's a bit stumped herself, currently our course of action is to try some shampoo (Quistel) and see what changes happen in the next month or two. We were thinking and if we can't get hold of the breeder I can look into trying to get in contact with her parents' breeders. I don't have much info on dad but have quite a few generations for mum and the same kennel flows back down her line. The lady I'm talking to pointed me to a reliable site to trace dad's line too so I'll do that tonight and see where we can go from there.

Laufey is back to being himself and his tummy is healed nicely, you'd barely know anything was done to him now

edit: this is MiMi's mum and her line: http://ingrus.net/pekingese/en/details.php?id=40522 I just found her and thought I'd share because I got very excited
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hi Delladooo

I could be wrong but I think that a female has to be at least 2 before they can be bred from. (I think I read it on the Kennel club web page) It would also ring alarm bell that the breeder has not got back as a Good breeder should be there for you Theo's breeder is what ever I need she's there. I hope the results come back soon. :)
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Theo400 wrote:Hi Delladooo

I could be wrong but I think that a female has to be at least 2 before they can be bred from. (I think I read it on the Kennel club web page) It would also ring alarm bell that the breeder has not got back as a Good breeder should be there for you Theo's breeder is what ever I need she's there. I hope the results come back soon. :)
I'm not 100% sure on the age from a kennel club point of view but know she isn't registered and mum was 18 months when she had MiMi. I'm not too surprised that there is a delay in contacting the breeder as last time we spoke both she and her daughter (they own both mum and dad between them) were both rather ill and in and out of hospital
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

I just thought I'd update this thread and give a picture of MiMi's fur now.

Firstly, we've never heard anything back from the breeder and suspect we never will. I was pretty confident when we went to see MiMi that they would be interested to hear how she was getting on and such. I don't know if this was bad judgement on my part or due to illness but either way I'm disappointed. That said, I have been in contact with other pekingese breeders who are more active in the peke community and hope to possibly meet them in person in the near future, possibly with a view to become more active in the peke community ourselves.
I haven't contacted MiMi's dame's breeder but one of the people I contacted is the current owner of her sire's line. He isn't the gentleman who bred her sire as he acquired the line later on. I now know that he was sold as a pet to people in Liverpool and some time after this he then moved to Birmingham. I suspect he was sold between the two locations and our breeder stated she didn't know he was endorsed when she enquired about him. I also found out that he's 10 and that his brother went on to sire others in the breed line who are with the gentleman who has and shows the line (some of these dogs I'm also hoping to meet).

We are still covered by the Bravecto and there only "normal" itching and her fur has changed again. I will need to have a discussion with mum over whether she thinks we should continue with this or try something natural. She is reluctant to go natural as cats tend to be more prone to fleas and if they are flea sensitive (which seems the logical answer now) it would be unfair to subject them to the experience if it can be prevented and I agree so not sure what's the best course of action here, either way I definitely don't want to return to spot on treatments.

The fur is coming back behind her front legs, where she first started to lose it from, and it seems to slowly be returning further back too. Her coat is also thicker and softer than it was which I put down to a combination of her diet really starting to show in her coat and the coat returning.
Also, excuse her general bed-headedness and that her front paws need a trim , she always has at least one patch that just won't lie with the rest of it :lol:
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

I just wanted to revisit this post just over a year on. I have since tidied up my photo bucket so will relink all of the photos for reference soon.

Looking back with the knowledge we now have, I'm still confident it wasn't fleas, or if they were a factor they definitely weren't the main issue for MiMi. She's itching all the time again and we're finding a lot of fur around the house but thankfully we aren't noticing it on her this time. Given that it's the same time of year and the same issue we're inclined to conclude it was a combination of her loosing her puppy coat and having a general seasonal coat drop at the same time. The coat she has developed is nothing like a show peke coat (demonstrated by the likes of the dog who won the toy group at crufts yesterday) but is instead much more silky and sleek than fluffy. I have been told that they are two distinct coat variations in the breed although the ones seen are generally fluffy.

I'm hopeful that with experience, we'll be able to figure when she's going to be most uncomfortable and have it blasted out of her as she did very well the only time she's had it done and didn't seem to really mind.