help slim down my pug

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

puglvr

help slim down my pug

Post by puglvr »

I need help, or tips on how to slim down my amazingly 40 lb. pug. she she is 8 years old and gets one bowl of food a day, and runs 3 times a day. but she never shds a pound! both her and her son( age 3) go thru the same thing everyday, which includes 3 walks a day. and her son is 20 pounds lighter than she . i need help, because even tho she has strong muscle in her legs, i dont want anything to happen to her . PLEASE HELP!
K9S R GR8!

Pugs are like potato chips, you cant just have one!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It's depressingly easy.

Feed less.

Keep on with the exercise you are giving her. It sounds a good regime.
Cheetah

Post by Cheetah »

What kind of food do you feed? Does it say how many kcals are in each cup, on the back or side of the bag? How many of those cups do you put in the bowl each day? Is she free-fed, or fed in controlled meals 2-3 times per day?
Eevee, 10-year-old Border Collie mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo), 4-year-old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

you also haven't mentioned treats, most store bought treats are worse than cookies and crisps(chips) as far as fat/calories.
Has she been to a vet? Your vet should be helping you get her back to a healthy weight, not to mention there may be something seriously wrong with her.

if you're feeding her and the other dog at the same time move them to rooms where they dont have access to each others food, put down their bowls and if they don't finish in about 15-20 minutes pick up the bowls (dog's wont starve themselves, but they shouldn't be allowed to "graze" all day either)

I have several other ideas but we'll need to know WHAT you're feeding them before making that recommendation, if you're feeding a food with no nutritional value but high fat... all the help in the world wont help.
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

you also haven't mentioned treats, most store bought treats are worse than cookies and crisps(chips) as far as fat/calories.
Has she been to a vet? Your vet should be helping you get her back to a healthy weight, not to mention there may be something seriously wrong with her.

if you're feeding her and the other dog at the same time move them to rooms where they dont have access to each others food, put down their bowls and if they don't finish in about 15-20 minutes pick up the bowls (dog's wont starve themselves, but they shouldn't be allowed to "graze" all day either)

I have several other ideas but we'll need to know WHAT you're feeding them before making that recommendation, if you're feeding a food with no nutritional value but high fat... all the help in the world wont help.
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
puglvr

Post by puglvr »

thanx for all those coments! i do split a treat and they both get half. but only one a day. and im not feeding them much in a serving now anyway. i dont think i can cut down anymore. thanx again for all of your help!
K9S R GR8!

Cheetah

Post by Cheetah »

We still need to know exactly how much you're feeding (like an exact measurement) and how many kcals are in each cup of that food to really know how to help you. Othrwise, you're better off taking your dog in for a vet visit so they can test your dog's thyroid etc. and/or set you up on a weight loss plan.
Eevee, 10-year-old Border Collie mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo), 4-year-old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
puglvr

Post by puglvr »

havnt been on in a while, but wanted to say that Ruby lost between 10 and 15 ounds, because we switched her to the senior diet dog food!!! thanx for all your suggestions!
K9S R GR8!

Nettle

Post by Nettle »

That's good news! :D I bet she feels much more comfortable now. Well done, and thanks for the feedback.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
puglvr

Post by puglvr »

she has had AMAZING results!!! She has more energy, has now lost 25 LBS. and is shedding way less! i am very happy with her progress.
K9S R GR8!