am i feeding raw right please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Theo400

Re: am i feeding raw right please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Theo400 »

Hi

with Christmas coming up and with me feeding raw now is it ok if on Christmas day I give him his food cooked as he normally has a bowl of the Christmas dinner just without the gravy.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Yes, no problem at all :D (Purists will disagree, but plenty of raw-fed dogs get a good variety of leftovers from cooked meals.)
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Mine often get a warm game casserole in winter :wink: and I am a very committed raw feeder. Nothing wrong with a healthy homecooked meal now and then.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hi

Thank you very much, im so glad as I had no Idea what to for Christmas. :D

many thanks
Theo and Sarah
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hi

I forgot to ask, I feed Theo after his morning walk (45mins) and I wait 30mins before feeding him is this enough time I did use to wait 1hr when I fed him dry/wet but now being on raw I thought he might not need to wait as much with raw being the natural diet for dogs.

is 30mins fine? (Theo seems fine however he has had bloat before and that why I changed to raw among other reasons and he tends to be a dog that dose not show if he's in pain or not well)

Many thanks
Theo and Sarah :D
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

As far as I can tell, there's no firm evidence that bloat is less likely in raw fed dogs - in fact I've been trying to find some hard facts about the relation between feeding and bloating, and not getting very far :? If I had a dog who had had bloat in the past, I'd want to be extra-cautious - though I suspect feeding soon after exercise is much safer than feeding before.

I'd be interested if anyone has any evidence based on reliable data though :D
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hi JudyN

I agree I like to know if someone has any hard facts for us. as I was thinking more about raw I realised what could I do when I go on holiday with Theo as taking dry/wet food is far easier as you don't need a freezer :lol: . what do you all do when you go on holiday when feeding raw? (I only holiday in the UK with Theo)

Many Thanks
Sarah and Theo :D
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Never tried it myself but a good freeze box packed full with frozen supposedly works well, and if you have access to power some of them can also be plugged in to decrease temperature. I suppose at a push you could dehydrate the required food and take it like that but would possibly be slightly less filling and would obviously make them drink more :)
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Theo400 wrote: what do you all do when you go on holiday when feeding raw? (I only holiday in the UK with Theo)
If you take mince rather than whole bones or pieces of meat, it's surprising how little room it takes up (Jasper gets through about 900g a day). We normally go self-catering for a week and take the mince, frozen, in a freezer bag. We put as much as we can in the freezer compartment of the fridge where we're staying (we go self-catering), and the rest goes in the fridge, where it will be fine for a few days.

Other people just take a couple of days' worth of food then look for cheap cuts in butchers' & supermarkets where they're staying.