Can dogs get trapped wind?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Can dogs get trapped wind?

Post by JudyN »

Occasionally, after Jasper has gone upstairs to bed at night, we'll hear him shriek and find him standing awkwardly on the landing, looking very stiff and uncomfortable. Once he's got moving a bit, he's fine.

This evening as he was standing awkwardly, looking very sorry for himself, I felt his back and hips, but when I ran my hands over his belly, he shrieked and growled at me. He then belched. As usual, once he got moving a bit he was fine. He's been out in the garden and come back in here & settled down.

I'd always thought these episodes were down to some muscle tweaks, but based on the belch (which he doesn't do often) and the fact he really didn't like his tummy being rubbed, I'm wondering if it's digestion related. He hasn't eaten anything different to normal today.

(NB Being a wimpy sighthound, he does tend to lay on the amateur dramatics a bit at the slightest owchy - I have had passersby convinced he's broken a leg when I've been quite unconcerned and he's been running around five seconds later :wink: )
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Re: Can dogs get trapped wind?

Post by Nettle »

Mine come to me to be burped :oops: I rub long sweeps down their backs and tummies, and there is a colossal belch or two. Then they wander off again, satisfied that the human slave has done its job.

If Jas doesn't like his taut tummy touched (how alliterative) would he tolerate his flanks and back being stroked instead? It's a massaging stroke.

I confess I have had entire litters of tiny puppies coming up mid-meal to be burped. I stroke them, they 'blup' and then go off to finish their food. It's only recently I discovered not every breeder does this.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Yes, Jasper likes to be burped after meals too - it must be a lurcher thing :lol: He seems fine today - normally he loves a tummy rub but it was obviously very tender last night.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

You two have made me giggle! Sweetie, by contrast, has no problem burping and does not require assistance. However she does come over to make sure she can do it in my face :roll:
minkee

Post by minkee »

Yes, Breeze also sees to his own trapped wind by doing the 'downward facing dog' yoga pose. Beware his aim if you happen to be at his rear!
Tandra

Post by Tandra »

I remain that dogs can get trapped wind. Because, that have some rare quality that is not embedded within man. So, if we can trained well the dog then they can trapped wind.