Kennel cough and exercise

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nix1234

Kennel cough and exercise

Post by Nix1234 »

Hi everyone,

I looked through the previous posts on kennel cough but couldn't quite seem to find what I was looking for.

At the moment I'm looking after a friend's Golden Retriever for ten days, who has come down with the dreaded kennel cough. Vet put her on antibiotics, as the day he saw her she was very subdued, slight fever, and really not herself. I asked if I could exercise her at all, and he said just to keep her in, but this was on the day she did look rather poorly.

The antibiotics have kicked in, and she's full of beans, but this is very normal with KC, right?

I've been giving her kongs/bones/clicker training/games etc in the house, to try and tire her out as much as possible, and it's helping, but this is a dog who is used to long walks and lots of fetch, so I think she's finding being under house arrest very difficult! As she seems more herself, I asked the owners what they thought, and they thought it was ok to take her out a couple of times for 10/15mins max on leash, just a gentle stretch of the legs. Her symptoms are extremely mild - apart from the day where she was obviously sick.

We all live in the middle of nowhere, so it is possible that I can take her out for 10 mins on an unmarked path, and not meet any other dogs, as I know that would be really irresponisble as it's so contagious.

I was just wondering what your thoughts are as regards KC and exercise? As hopefully we are getting our own dog soon and it's nice to know for the future :)
All the research I've done on the internet just says to 'limit' their exercise...but how much is too much?!

Any thoughts would be gratefully received!
Nettle

Re: Kennel cough and exercise

Post by Nettle »

A couple of short pootles on-lead every day to sniff about and read the weemails would be beneficial as long as you are somewhere other dogs don't get to, and it sounds as if you are. I find gentle exercise cheers up the patient and so boosts the immune system. How short is short? Ten to fifteen minutes at a time until she is brighter and has stopped coughing.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Nix1234

Post by Nix1234 »

Hi Nettle,

Yes that's all I'm doing, 10-15 minutes 2/3 times a day on leash. Thanks for the reply, it's helpful to know! I do think it cheers them up, like us when we have a cold, it's still nice to feel like we've been out! :)
Nix1234

Post by Nix1234 »

Also, do you know how long the virus is airborne for? I'm just thinking of when I go home, I'll need to wash/disinfect everything she's touched that belongs to me - balls, kongs, my car, all my clothes etc...
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

According to my vet, the virus is live for 3-4 days :o but mostly in sputum coughed out into grass etc. Not sure if it can be carried on clothing.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

The many viruses that cause kennel cough in dogs are similar to the many viruses that cause cold or flu-like symptoms in humans. Contracting kennel cough does not represent a vaccination failure, it is a case of the dog contracting a virus that the vaccine does not cover.

Think about the things you do to prevent catching cold or the flu, and do the same for your dog. In the case of your stuff, a normal soap and water wash will usually be sufficient. You can do a light sanitation of surfaces in your car with sanitizing wipes or a weak chlorine bleach solution if they infected dog has been inside it withing that 3 to 4 day window of contagion.

Regarding exercise, we don't run sled dogs who have been down with kennel cough until they've been symptom free for 5 days or longer. Mostly that's to prevent spread of the virus on our shared mushing trails, but I think is probably healthier for the ill dogs as well.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
Nix1234

Post by Nix1234 »

That's great Swanny thank you!