Ears

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sweetie's Human

Ears

Post by Sweetie's Human »

I've had a look for this in the archives but can't see anything that relates to the outer ear.

I've noticed this morning that Sweetie's ears look a little different. The fur on the very edge of the ears seems to be a bit ragged or clumpy looking. It's hard to describe.

It feels a little crusty to touch. It's only the very tips of her ears and the rest looks normal. Also, inside her ears is nice and white and clean.

It's not very bad at all and someone who didn't look at her every day probably wouldn't even notice it, but given that it happened literally overnight, I'm worried that it might be the start of something worse.

She does have a little fungal flare up in her nose fold at the moment and I've put some of the anti-fungal cream I use for that on her ears to see if it helps. But apart from that she is healthy and the ears don't seem to be bothering her - no scratching or anything like that.

Has anyone seen this before? Is it worth a visit to the vet or should I see how she goes with the anti-fungal cream in case it is related to her nose fold?

Thanks in advance
JudyN

Re: Ears

Post by JudyN »

This was ringing bells with me so I've had a look on the internet... I can't see what was making the bells ring, but suggested causes are dry skin, mites, yeast infections and mange. That would suggest it's likely to be a yeast infection connected to her nose. It might be worth ringing your vet and asking them if it's OK to use the cream on her ears (I sort of have to say that as any knowledge I have comes from a few minutes googling :wink: ).
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Sweetie's Human

Thanks for the response Judy. Your caution is noted :wink: . I kind of hope it is the fungal infection or dry skin as they seem the least horrible of the alternatives. I have to say that mange did cross my mind at first and I did a crazy-pug-lady freak out until OH pulled me into line :D . I'm thinking not mites as it's only the outer edges of the outer ear.

If it doesn't clear up in a few days I'll take her in. Just thought I'd tap this font of knowledge in the meantime.

Thanks again
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It doesn't sound like mange, and if it were, it'd be no big deal. It's so easy to cure nowadays - not like the old days when all we had was sulphur.

Hope the ears clear up soon. :) there's always lavender or aloe vera to try.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Sweetie's Human

Nettle wrote:It doesn't sound like mange, and if it were, it'd be no big deal. It's so easy to cure nowadays - not like the old days when all we had was sulphur.

Hope the ears clear up soon. :) there's always lavender or aloe vera to try.
Aloe vera? Pretty sure I have a tube of it in the bathroom or the fridge from last summer. Otherwise I'll get mum to bring me the real deal. Which affliction would that be for, Nettle?

Thanks for the response.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Just dab some on each crusty ear part and await results. :) Might have to repeat for a couple of days. Crusts should lift and healthy ear should be seen underneath - might be a bit pink to start with.

Do not pick at it! :wink:

WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

This might sound strange but could it be sunburn? it wounds like the way sunburn shows up on the tips of white cats ears (and white horses noses).
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
Steve29

Post by Steve29 »

Skin problems can be a booger. There can be so many causes for them. I did find an article on a vet site that covers a lot of ear edge problems. You can take a look here: http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/ear-ed ... nd-scabies. Hope that heals the problem. Let us know what you figure out it might be helpful later on.
Sweetie's Human

Thanks everyone. We are on day 2 of Operation Aloe Vera.

Will definitely update the thread with the results, but may not br for a couple of weeks - I'm away for ten days from Friday so OH will be in sole charge of all pug grooming and care. He'll take her to the vet if it's not better by the weekend, or if it gets worse. But it's not really bothering her.

WufWuf I don't think it's sunburn. We're already on 25C + days so she's spending most of her time in the shade or inside.

Thanks for all the responses.
Sweetie's Human

Spoke too soon :oops: .

I've just found her scratching it and when I put some aloe vera on it, some tufts of fur came away in my hand. And it does look a bit scabbier, so I think we're off to the vet this afternoon.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

By all means see your vet, but tufts of fur coming away is part of the healing process. The scabs slough off and have to take fur with them. Underneath is healthy skin. :)

Sweetie's Human

Nettle wrote:By all means see your vet, but tufts of fur coming away is part of the healing process. The scabs slough off and have to take fur with them. Underneath is healthy skin. :)
Oh Nettle! That is exactly what the vet said! Apparently whatever skin infection it was, it's pretty much gone and this part, despite being a bit gross looking, is the good part. I'm such a numpty but I just get so worried about her :oops: .

In any case, we also got instructions to use very very diluted Malaseb wash on her bits of pink skin around her nose and chin and on her ears. And of course the bank balance took a little hit :?

So there we are.

Thanks again for your help.
Sweetie's Human

Nettle wrote:By all means see your vet, but tufts of fur coming away is part of the healing process. The scabs slough off and have to take fur with them. Underneath is healthy skin. :)
Definitely wish I'd seen this post before the vet visit, rather than just after we got home from it :lol: .

She's perfectly fine. OH kept up the aloe for a few more days after I went away and by the time I got back she was back to her usual beautiful self.

Anyway, I hope this helps any other Crazy Dog Ladies (or Gents) in future searching the forum panicking about their dog's ear fur :lol: .