How cautious to be bringing puppy home and other questions

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Erica

How cautious to be bringing puppy home and other questions

Post by Erica »

I'm facing a long drive bringing puppy home Saturday, certainly longer than his little bladder will hold out! I'm wondering what the best course of action will be re: potty breaks and play breaks (because 8 hours is rather too long without a chance to do something fun).

1. I can fold the back seats of my car down, to give a decent sized flat area (for inside a car), about 5x5 feet or 1.5 x 1.5 m. Sitting back there, I could play with puppy. Ideas for what's best to tire and entertain a puppy are welcomed!

2. In the back, I could put down a puppy pad, but I think I'd rather either clearly designate where he can potty in the car and where he shouldn't. My main ideas are either to put the potty pad on the ground outside, so he's not walking right on where unknown dogs have been, or make a sort of litter box - box base, puppy pad, with maybe a square of sod if I can find it - for inside the car. Which would be best?

He'll be in a crate while I'm driving. I think it'll be best to keep him on the seat next to me, rather than in the back seat where I can't see. This way I can easily tell when he wakes up or is getting restless and will need a potty break. I'll be aiming to get to a parking lot before he needs to get out, though - every 45 minutes or so? Depending on how well he sleeps. It's a very flexible plan in that it's just vague guesses with plenty of room for changes. :P

3. Additionally, should I wash all harnesses and beds and such bought from a pet store where dogs are allowed (and might have licked or rubbed against the things), or is that not terribly necessary? I know infected urine and feces are the main vector for Parvo, so that shouldn't really have come in contact with the things I've bought.

4. How worried should I be about shoes? Dr. Dunbar says to leave all outside shoes outside until puppy's had the all-clear from the vets, but I'm wondering if that might be going a bit far - rather hoping that it is because we've got many pairs of outdoor shoes and it's storm season...could we just keep puppy away from shoe storage area?

5. I think this might be more a training question. The room I'm planning to keep him in has wooden floors, but they've already been fairly damaged by our old cat's incontinence. This was a couple years ago, but will the smell of cat urine be an issue in housetraining the same way dog urine would be? We always cleaned up with enzyme cleaners but we probably didn't manage to get all of it.

I think that's all the questions I have for now!

Edit: Haha, here's another one:
6. I'd like for puppy to sleep on my bed, if he's okay with that. Someone said that they just started out with puppy sleeping on their bed, and would set an alarm for every 2 hours to take their puppy outside at night. Is this an acceptable idea or should I keep him in a crate until he's fairly solid on housetraining? Breeder does do some housetraining with pups but obviously it's not complete by 8 weeks old.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Ari_RR

Re: How cautious to be bringing puppy home and other questions

Post by Ari_RR »

Is there absolutely no way to have someone to share the ride with?... So the puppy is with someone back there rather than in the crate? Being the only child, I thought this is precisely why people have siblings.. :wink:

Potty inside the car sounds a bit overboard to me... He is not going to walk around on breaks, just a couple of steps this way and that way, how dangerous for him can it be to just stop every hour or so wherever there is some green lawn or some grass, along the way, so he can take a few steps and hopefully do his business ?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Just my opinion/what I do - should no way be taken as advice.

I keep puppy in deep cardboard box well lined with newspaper, and have lots of small towels on top, Also I have several bin liners to hand for soiled stuff because some puppies puke. Some sleep all the way (but I've never done 8 hours!). Puppy won't be better off for play IMO - get straight home apart from potty breaks. I don't even stop to feed because it's likely to come straight up again, and doesn't hurt just this once.

I do what Ari says about potty breaks - stop every hour or so (remembering car motion stimulates bladder and bowels so sooner if puppy squeaks and wriggles) by a safe grassy area. Puppy MUST have some kind of a barrier round so that it doesn't escape when out of car. What surface has the breeder used and what do you plan to use?

I don't fret about disinfecting shoes, dog beds etc. Viruses don't survive long outside the host. My puppies have to fit in with older dogs who get walked twice a day, so there is gentle challenge to the immune system.

I'd have puppy in crate by bed until fully potty trained. Plenty of time when older to sleep on the bed with you. Little puppies break easily so jumping on and off places like beds shouldn't be encouraged, and he's small enough to pee on the bed if caught short.

Wooden floors do hold smells for ever, and cat pee is very pungent. I can't say what will happen because all pups are different - it may be a problem, it may not, and sounds as if there isn't much you can do about it.

Well done you for thinking this all through so diligently :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Erica

Post by Erica »

Ari_RR wrote:Is there absolutely no way to have someone to share the ride with?... So the puppy is with someone back there rather than in the crate? Being the only child, I thought this is precisely why people have siblings.. :wink:

Potty inside the car sounds a bit overboard to me... He is not going to walk around on breaks, just a couple of steps this way and that way, how dangerous for him can it be to just stop every hour or so wherever there is some green lawn or some grass, along the way, so he can take a few steps and hopefully do his business ?
It would be possible for me to get someone to ride up with...but if I want to get there in good spirits (or anything happier than "ready to go on a murderous rampage"), not really. ;) My oldest sister is the only one who isn't working that day and let's just say that I'd think hard before getting in the car with her for half an hour, let alone seven more. We can get along fine for short periods but not long ones!

The last puppy-puppy we got was Opal, who was already 12 weeks old or so, and was allowed to walk in public. I haven't actually driven a young, not-fully-protected pup ever, so this is all new to me - but it does make sense to get out of the car for a bit.

Thank you for your experiences, Nettle, I'll take them into consideration. :)

Breeder uses paper (large pieces, no ink or anything on it) when pups are inside. Would you get the same material and put it on the ground or, since they're used to going outdoors, would you just let him walk on a small bit of grass/dirt (obviously on leash/contained somehow)? Understanding, of course, that this is just your opinion and not veterinary advice or anything.

Thanks for opinion re: bed, too. I'll be sleeping on a couch for the first while anyways, so that would be even trickier than a bed. Crate it is!

The shoes thing did confuse me as obviously any other dogs in the household won't be taking their paws off outside! I know parvo lives long outside its host, but from the reading I've done, not more than two years, so our house/yard should be fine after Marble's episode in 2011.

It's hard not to think it through - since I'm finding it difficult to think about much else. :D Thank you!
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

First, congrats on the new puppy! :D

When we bought Piper from an out of state breeder, she offered to meet us halfway on the day we went to pick her up. That was wonderful for all of us. Maybe you could ask your breeder if this is possible as well.

Also, as far as potty breaks and taking along a similar substance for him to potty on that he is used to . . . it is my experience that young puppies will pretty much "go" wherever they are and on whatever they are standing on at the time when their bladders are full. :wink: So I personally do not think taking anything along with you is necessary. But if it will make you feel better to do so, can't hurt! :D

I cannot wait to read about the trials and tribulations of your new pup! Congrats again!! :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
minkee

Post by minkee »

Nettle's cardboard box plan works brilliantly, especially if you can find a couple that you can fold down, so if any accidents happen you can just throw it out and replace with a fresh one. Don't worry about entertaining pup - he'll be worn out just from the travelling, and it's best if he sleeps as much as possible. Both Scout and Breeze slept all the way home. Scout on my lap, although that was only 15 mins drive! I would just put your 'lets get through this' hat on, and get the puppy home and then start from there. :) Good luck and keep us up to date! LOTS OF PICS ALL THE WAY!!!
Erica

Post by Erica »

I'm happy to drive the whole way. :) It doesn't make it much different for the puppy, and I have to meet them and choose which pup anyways! So off to Jersey I go.

Aah, good point about puppies not caring much where they potty!

I'll try to scrounge some good boxes. We've got tons and actually, hey, I see a perfect one right now!

Don't worry - I made sure the hotel has wifi, so I'll have pictures Friday night! And I'm sure lots of squealing over how cute the little fuzzies are. :D