Kibble - shelf-life

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Kibble - shelf-life

Post by JudyN »

I feed Monty the cat Eden cat kibble, which is similar to Orijen in that it contains no grain. I can only get it online, so order a 6kg bag and once opened wrap it carefully to keep it as airtight as possible. However, it lasts something like 80 days, and I've just read that kibble should be used within about a month of opening, after which the nutrition content decreases & it may go rancid.

What do you think? If it looks and smells OK, should I not worry like this? (We're often told now that we can ignore use-by dates on people food.) Monty is 16, so on the one hand is getting more fragile, but on the other hand, how much nutrition do you need when you spend 95% of your time sleeping in the airing cupboard? :lol: The smaller bags cost more per kilo, so I'd rather buy bigger ones if it's OK.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Re: Kibble - shelf-life

Post by Nettle »

When I buy something like Orijen, I bag up and freeze it in small amounts. As I only use it for training treats, I can take a long time to get through even the smallest pack.

I can't help with your safety question though. I doubt a cat would eat anything that was rancid.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Re: Kibble - shelf-life

Post by JudyN »

I hadn't thought of freezing it, Nettle - thank you, you are a genius!! :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009