More on neutering

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

More on neutering

Post by Nettle »

Yesterday I was contacted by two different clients, each of whom has a ladydog which has come through her first season. One has been under a lot of pressure from her vet to neuter before the season, the other has worked in Rescue for a long time and is therefore of the opinion that neutering is better done asap. The second dog is a rescue with anxiety issues that are coming on nicely, the first a naturally buzzy breed.

Each has said how much more grown-up and trainable their ladydog is since her season. I am particularly pleased with the 'rescue' lady because I know how badly she wanted to have her ladydog spayed, and it was touch and go whether, even having paid for my opinion, she actually held off. She is going to wait for the second season before neutering her dog! That, along with the other work we are doing, should sort out the anxiety issues. As a not inconsiderable bonus, each dog will grow properly now.

Each person has also said how easy the season was to manage, when they had been given dire and terrible stories of how hideous the experience would be (from people who have never kept a ladydog through a season).

Changing the world one person at a time.........
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
katej215

Re: More on neutering

Post by katej215 »

Great story Nettle! :D

I was chatting to someone from my training club who has a couple of large breed bitches..she was surprised at me saying I was neither breeding from nor spaying Hattie..She told me how she had let her dogs have one season before they were spayed...but to be honest given the size of these girls, I'd be surprised if they were mature before 2 years old at the least. Btw...both are terrified of their own shadows & have hip /lameness problems... :?
Suzette

Re: More on neutering

Post by Suzette »

Love this Nettle! It truly is educating one person at a time. I am not usually successful when I try to educate folks on the importance of waiting to alter their dog. The spay and spay NOW mentality is so thoroughly ingrained in society, it is truly an uphill battle. But an important one to fight. So Kudos to you and to all the folks who take the time to truly learn the reasons why it is better to wait and then act on that knowledge! :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11