Clipping to prevent overheating

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Clipping to prevent overheating

Post by JudyN »

I know that husky types shouldn't be clipped in hot weather because their coats can insulate them from the heat as well as the cold. Someone on a lurcher forum has just had their long coated (rough collie x?) lurcher clipped close as she was struggling in the heat, and she's now much happier.

So what is the difference in their coats/heat management here? If you have a dog with a long/thick coat, how do you know whether clipping it will help keep the dog cool?

I'm not considering clipping Jasper BTW, his coat is thin enough already - just curious (again).
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
mansbestfriend

Re: Clipping to prevent overheating

Post by mansbestfriend »

Hi. Sunburn? From memory I don't think our Rough Collie had a double coat, like a Husky.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Nothing's impossible but the dog is highly unlikely to be a rough collie cross and much more likely to be a Beardie cross (especially if bred by Hancock).

In which case the coat is supposed to insulate, and clipping messes up the arrangement. What's done is done, and double coats never come back properly from clipping so she might as well continue. But she would have been far better to have groomed the dog with appropriate brushes.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

She's quite unusual looking, Nettle. You can see her on the cover of Dogs Today if you scroll down this page: http://www.greyhounds4me.co.uk/2012/04/ ... ril-issue/
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Ah yes - I can see what you mean. Deffo could be rough collie in that case. Certainly not Beardie :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
mum24dog

Post by mum24dog »

JudyN

Post by JudyN »

That's really interesting - thanks mum24dog :D
gwd

Post by gwd »

Nettle wrote:
What's done is done, and double coats never come back properly from clipping so she might as well continue.
Double coats will eventually come back.......... but it takes a really long time. The outer coat (what we leave when we strip out a dog) is very slow growing and slow to turn over. That's why a shaved dog looks fluffy and, usually a weird color......... all you've got for a long time after clipping is soft, wooly undercoat. the guard hairs will eventually regrow but it can take 2 years or so in some cases. I don't ever recommend clipping.