Hot weather and runny bums

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Hot weather and runny bums

Post by JudyN »

To what extent can hot weather affect dogs' digestion? I've noticed in the past that Jasper can get a bit loose in hot weather, but he did a poo puddle this morning (forecast is for 22c here today, which counts as a heatwave in the UK!).

He may genuinely have a bit of a bug as though he's eating normally otherwise, yesterday he refused a piece of kibble :shock: and last night he was quite whingy and needed to relieve stress by nibbling on fluffy toys. I also thought his tum felt a little firm. I just wondered how much I can attribute to the weather.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Re: Hot weather and runny bums

Post by Nettle »

I suspect it's more like nasty tummy bugs thrive and breed better in warm weather, especially warm humid conditions. But it's only a theory.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Then of course there's the need to wallow in and drink from stagnant puddles...

Generally when he has these 'loose' episodes there's no other sign and I'm not sure there's any bug involved, but he's not quite right now. Not 'vet on speed dial' ill, but I won't be leaving him at home with access to the new carpet :lol:
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Just curious really but does he drink more when it's hot?
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

He does, and I wonder if that could be a reason - though of course he will be losing/using more fluids as well. I don't know if dogs lose as much water as we do when it's hot as they only sweat through their paws (plus panting of course).
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

He seemed really uncomfortable when we had a short gentle stroll in the cool woods. Then he did a HUGE soft, but not runny, poo, and immediately perked up no end :lol:
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

You could try bringing clean water with you for him to drink and see if that reduces the dodgy poops. Could be a volume condumed issue though.
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
minkee

Post by minkee »

the plural on the 'bums' part of this topic title always makes me wonder if there's a personal detail you're not telling us :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Haha :lol: No, I just wondered if this was a common tendency in dogs :wink:

Over the last couple of days his poos have improved, he's not been making such dreadful smells, and he's more lively, so he must have had a touch of something.