Hemopet results

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bendog

Hemopet results

Post by bendog »

Still trying to organise thyroid tests for Sash (money is tight so can ony afford one test at a time!) but had the Jean Dodds (Hemopet) saliva food allergy tests done and Sasha doesn't show a strong reaction to anything, but has an intermediate/medium reaction to lots of things, which Dr Dodds suggests avoiding.

The avoid list is:
Beef
Corn
Milk
Pork
Turkey
Venison
Wheat
White fish
Potato

Chicken was borderline and suggested to avoid.

The ONLY proteins she showed no reaction to are: egg,and rabbit (and soy, but I suspect just because she's never been exposed to it)

Duck, Lamb, and Salmon were all only weak reactions.

It will take me a bit of time to be able to source enough rabbit, but looks like it would be worth trying her on mainly rabbit and duck, with lamb tripe/liver etc for her offal requirements and the odd egg and see how that goes. If that works out too expensive/difficult I might have to think about putting her back on a dry food if I can find a grain free one, with no potato either.

I do suspect that her system is a bit screwed up though, and wouldn't surprise me if she develops a rabbit or duck allergy in future.
minkee

Re: Hemopet results

Post by minkee »

Well done for getting this, it must be nice to have a clear list and to be able to make a more educated guess at what to feed her. Here's hoping it holds up and works out
gwd

Post by gwd »

Actually, the test isn't traditional allergy....... she refers to it as 'sensitivity'....... but I've had much better luck with boy dogs summer itchies after I followed the 'to avoid' list. When I did his test last June.

A friend of mine re-tested her girl (jean recommends annual testing is ideal) and many of the foods she had an intermediate sensitivity too a year ago are fine for her now and no new foods were added to her 'avoid' list. Jean feels that if you avoid a food for an extended period of time it will become something they can tolerate again.
bendog

Post by bendog »

Well, first bunch of 20 rabbits arrived today. Couldn't fit them all in the freezer so Sash is enjoying a whole one for breakfast :roll:

I've tried elimination diets with her before. But with chicken, and then with venison. So hopefully rabbit will be better since she had no reaction to that at all.

I just feel so awful for the poor girl. Her ears have been playing up again last few weeks, and although she's a lot more tolerant now of having drops etc put in (she used to bite) she still runs and hides when she sees the bottle :(

And she has such a boring life. But she often refuses to come for walks, or will go out but turn for home as soon as she's done her business, so what am I supposed to do?? She gets cuddles, and raw diet gives her some mental stimulation, and she loves anything food related - so finding food in boxes, puzzle toys, kongs etc.

I try to take her to the pet shop sometimes for a trip out and a change of scenery because oddly enough she loves people.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Don't judge what Sasha finds a 'boring' life by your other dogs. Hey, I live a boring life by many people's standards, but it suits me :lol: She might regard a short poo walk, some raw food and a couple of cuddles & activities as a fun-filled busy day :wink:

I hope the rabbit helps her.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
minkee

Post by minkee »

Yes I was going to say the same thing :) My friends who live in London must think I have the most mundane life possible, but it suits me just fine! Sasha's a million times better off now than she ever has been, and she's being *listened to* which is a gift greater than any walk :)

Plus rabbits! What terrier wouldn't be happy?