dog safe weed killer please

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

mansbestfriend

dog safe weed killer please

Post by mansbestfriend »

Hi. Apologies if this has already been covered.

All manner of weeds spring up around my yard, especially at this time of year when it's getting cooler and the sun is lower. I'm too lazy to pull out weeds by hand, so usually chop them shorter and pour on boiling water, or just mow over the top. Some though are too awkward or thick to manage easily. And pouring boiling water around a plastic 3,000 litre rainwater tank dosn't seem like a good idea. Could anyone *recommend* a good dog-safe weed killer?

My dog Kelly (from Ned Kelly the bushranger) currently has full run of the (house and) yard, and likes to sniff and patrol it. She also likes to munch on grass occasionally and has ample clean drinking water available 24/7.
Thanks. :)
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
PHOENIX

Re: dog safe weed killer please

Post by PHOENIX »

Hi Mansbestfriend,

*Most* spray-on weed killers are safe for our pets to walk on after the spray has dried.

I chose to spray at a time when I would be able to give the liquid at least two hours to dry before allowing the dogs on the lawn, though it certainly does not take two hours. I chose that time frame for my own peace of mind.

As for letting your dog munch on vegetation which has been sprayed, I cannot speak to that.

My advice would be to call the companies which manufacture the weed killers of your choice and ask them about the effects of ingesting vegetation which has been sprayed.

Phoenix (Ringo's dad)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Why not use salt water in spot areas? You'll never grow anything there again, so not good for general garden use but maybe would suit around the tank. You'd have to barrier it off from the dog initially because they like salt.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Hi. Thanks. I might give around the water tank a dose of salt water, and use weed killer for the other patches with safety in mind. Ideally I'd prefer a bare (no plants/weeds) foundation for the tank because it's a bit awkward to keep clear. Cheers.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

mansbestfriend wrote: Could anyone *recommend* a good dog-safe weed killer?
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

8) :!:
Erica

Post by Erica »

My younger sister's boyfriend's family did rent a herd of goats for a weekend to clean their yard, if you don't want a full-time commitment...
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Goats as a natural weed killer - love it! :lol:

We have dollarweed (pennywort) in our horse pastures at the barn and when it starts to get a bit much, we turn the goats out in there. They will eat the dollarweed and leave the grass alone. Truly a perfect, natural and safe way to keep the weeds down in there! :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11