Seroma (fluid build-up) after spay surgery

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sparrow1024

Seroma (fluid build-up) after spay surgery

Post by sparrow1024 »

Hi everyone,
I had my 7 month old Shar Pei puppy (Angel) spayed last Monday and she developed a seroma within a few days :( Took her to the vet last Thursday when I 1st saw it, she didn't do much, just told me to put hot packs on it 2-3x daily and keep her on the sedation pills. By Saturday it had gotten larger and harder. Back to the vet yesterday (Monday) and she tried unsuccessfully to drain it, gave me some antibiotics and told me to keep on w/sedation and hot packs, which is not helping. Anyone have any ideas what else I can try? She is eating normally, drinking slightly less than normal. Thank you for reading this...
Nettle

Re: Seroma (fluid build-up) after spay surgery

Post by Nettle »

Poor you. I've seen this in newly spayed bitches and it does reabsorb, but takes quite some time. IME the draining is very stressful and painful for the dog but I haven't seen it done in quite some time so there may be kinder ways now.

Antibiotics are sensible, and if you are concerned that she is feeling very unwell, take her back to the vet.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS