Alabama Rot

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bendog

Alabama Rot

Post by bendog »

There are 7 suspected cases of this disease (1 confirmed) only about 20 minutes away from me.

Thus far it seems to be limited to one or two parks, but obviously I'm worried, for my own dogs and clients dogs.

Plus there are mutterings that it is linked to raw feeding - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/petsh ... warns.html

Most of my walks at the moment are on grassy playing fields, and keeping away from woods etc

I'm just wondering what others opinions or theories are, and what precautions (if any) you think I should take?

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/update/ ... ase-fears/
Nettle

Re: Alabama Rot

Post by Nettle »

It isn't actually Alabama Rot. That's something the lazy media got hold of and spread. It has similar symptoms and we people like to give a name to things.

No health professional has yet identified what it is, only what it does. So it's a pretty grim situation. You have to laugh that the anti-raw-fooders have picked it up as a way to denigrate raw feeding.

Seems sensible to keep out of woodland for now. But so little is known about whatever it is at the moment that that is just a guess too. And I walk in woodland every day, so maybe I should say 'keep out of woodland where it has been found', though you don't want to be the first to find it.

There is a big outbreak of atypical myopathy in horses in UK due to vast amounts of sprouting sycamore seeds hosting a lethal fungus. Could be that this is a similar situation.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I think the raw feeding idea came about because Alabama Rot in the States affected (mainly?) greyhounds, and the greyhounds were from racing kennels and were mostly raw fed. But there's no evidence that the disease in the UK is linked to raw feeding.

A local lurcher rescue group that regularly holds walks in the New Forest is avoiding the area now. If you look at the number of cases of the disease as a fraction of the number of dogs walked there every day, the risk is still very low though. If I lived on the doorstep I might consider it a risk worth running.

I do hope they find an explanation for it soon so we know what we are facing.

Nettle, is it me, or is this a 'good' year for sycamores? My garden's full of their darn seedlings :x
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It's an epic year for sycamores.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

JudyN wrote:I think the raw feeding idea came about because Alabama Rot in the States affected (mainly?) greyhounds, and the greyhounds were from racing kennels and were mostly raw fed. But there's no evidence that the disease in the UK is linked to raw feeding.
even if there is a link between raw and Alabama Rot or whatever is happening in the UK, the correct interpretation would most likely not be raw feeding in general is bad. Rather that a specific source of food had a problem.

That is how dry kibble is treated. if dry kibble is found to be contaminated "we" don't stop feeding dry kibble, we avoid the particular source and continue to feed dry kibble.