Peeing in her sleep

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

rachel540

Re: Peeing in her sleep

Post by rachel540 »

Thanks for the hugs :) theres so much to read im finding it all quite overwhelming as well as trying to come to terms with it and obviously blaming myself.

Nettle im trying to get my hands on that Peter Holt book. Thank you for being so supportive

The vet has prescribed Propalin Syrup the leaflet sounds scary. I asked the vet about side effects, said there were non, but theres a nice fat paragraph on the leaflet! More reading to do before she has any. I dont feel like the vets have explored the problem enough and just hand out medication willy nilly because its the easy option. How do you find a good trustworthy vet?!

Thing is i really dont want her to be on medication forever and feel that for now surely it is a case of management? Yday evening we woke her every 2 hours to pee and she did it each time. I think shes not having accidents through the night because she tends not to have a drink late in the evening.

Someone has recommended core training to strengthen her muscles - anyone heard of it or tried it?
Pictures of Pepper viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14364
katej215

Post by katej215 »

)))Hugs((( Rachel...how awful for you :(

Check out wobble boards for dogs, you should find other bits of kit and info related to core training...

Fingers crossed you are able to manage this with various therapies ...I'm assuming there are no holistic vets in your neck of the woods?
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

katej215 wrote: I'm assuming there are no holistic vets in your neck of the woods?
Actually I've been looking today and i think i have found one, they take referrals via my usual vet so will be calling them tomorrow :)

Thanks for the tip re: wobble board. I think my internet is going to explode soon haha!
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

Hi Rachel - I'm so sorry that you and Pepper have to deal with this. I know how frightening it can be when our beloved dogs are facing any health struggle. Hang in there! The shock and panic will eventually subside, and I have no doubt you will be able to make a management plan for your Pepper!

I have a friend who uses cooled green tea on a soft rag to wipe urine off of her dog, and she says it is a great way to prevent urine scald.

))Hugs!((

(Oh yeah, and if you aren't already, do simple breathing exercises to help yourself with all the stress you are under - even something like breathing in for 5 sec and out for 5 sec. Speaking from experience here - it really does help!)
bendog

Post by bendog »

You can use human wobble cushions (cheaper than dog ones) http://www.amazon.co.uk/PhysioRoom-Stab ... le+cushion

The main exercise we were taught for core strength (as opposed to working on leg muscles etc) was Beg/sit pretty - Start supported, then hold for few seconds, then once they can hold it for 10 seconds try it on wobble cushion. Crawl was another. And down to stand and back to down keeping all 4 paws still in place.

There was much more, obviously, but a lot was geared more towards shoulder strength, rear end awareness etc so won't make a lot of difference for you.

You must be heartbroken.

I've been planning to get Poppy spayed this year and I'm terrified now.
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Rachel, it's not your fault you were only trying to do what was best for Pepper )))))hug(((((

On the practical side of things you could get one of the classic plastic dog beds with vent holes in the base like this http://dogproducts.eu/wp-content/upload ... -Domus.jpg the bigger the holes the better. You can just use a white vinegar solution to clean the bed, the vinegar will evaporate pretty quickly so the smell doesn't linger too much (I prefer the smell to chemical cleaners anyways but it does make me want chips :lol: ). Get a good length of vet bed http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_bed ... 98732#more and cut it into section that fit the bed, I'd use two layers to help keep her dry. Vet bed is quick drying and very hard wearing. Human incontinence pad would be great to put under the bed for easy clean up.

Pepper is lucky to be with an owner who will take the very best of care of her, give her a wiggle from me ))))hug((((.
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

Sabrina, thank you for the support, I am getting there and still breathing, I’m a list maker so making lists of lists and more lists of things to research, possible natural remedies, beds, exercises….. thanks for the tip about green tea, I like the sound of that.

Thanks Amy, I really am heartbroken, friends, the vets and a couple of other comments I have had think I am over reacting and that this is a normal common thing so I should just accept it – but I just can’t. I’m angry, upset, confused and I don’t want my puppy on medication unnecessarily for the rest of her life, that just isn’t normal to me.

I have only taught Pepper the basics and not many tricks but last night we started learning beg, obviously the second time she got it like a pro :D but we will try crawl and up/down, etc. Thanks for the tips, I think this is a good starting point and just a couple of minutes each evening will be fun.

Why were you thinking of having Poppy spayed? I know you have mentioned it before but couldn’t remember why. I can’t really comment, I’m not exactly level headed at the moment but what I have learnt is that I don’t actually think our reasons for were strong enough and could have tried other methods to manage the situation.

WufWuf thank you for the hugs and I will them onto Pepper :D although she seems finding and is wondered what on earth is wrong with Mummy! Haha I am looking at all sorts of beds, she was going to get an Orvis for her birthday but I am reconsidering my choice. I’ve got a couple of human incontinence pads that are designed for chairs and a nice size, but so far with no accidents due to taking her out every couple of hours she hasn’t tested them out yet.

I am keeping a diary too of any accidents, what she eats, the exercise she is getting trying to find any links. Thanks again for being so supportive, once again I feel so lucky to have found you all on this forum :D
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

WufWuf wrote:You can just use a white vinegar solution to clean the bed, the vinegar will evaporate pretty quickly so the smell doesn't linger too much (I prefer the smell to chemical cleaners anyways but it does make me want chips :lol: ).
:lol: :lol: :lol: I use white vingear (well I did when Ella was doing running wees etc :lol: ), I CANNOT imagine spraying that onto my chips :shock:
rachel540 wrote:Why were you thinking of having Poppy spayed? I know you have mentioned it before but couldn’t remember why. I can’t really comment, I’m not exactly level headed at the moment but what I have learnt is that I don’t actually think our reasons for were strong enough and could have tried other methods to manage the situation.
I'm going to go through the decision process with Ella at some point but not until she's at least two. I have no idea yet how she's going to be, or Ted, or for that matter me :D Although we all know incontinence is a risk it's very difficult to weigh up that risk against everything you're facing from keeping a b tch intact. Who is to say that if you hadn't spayed her she wouldn't have gotten other problems as a result?
rachel540 wrote:I really am heartbroken, friends, the vets and a couple of other comments I have had think I am over reacting and that this is a normal common thing so I should just accept it – but I just can’t. I’m angry, upset, confused and I don’t want my puppy on medication unnecessarily for the rest of her life, that just isn’t normal to me.
It is normal and common but that doesn't make it right or acceptable. I've got to say I am very unimpressed with your vet. Really they only have the right to say that this is normal and common if they were clear with you pre spay that this was a risk. Pepper is your dog, your family, and what everyone thinks is of little to no consequence. You do what you feel is right for Pepper and if other people are happy filling their dog with drugs that DO have side effects with not a care in the world then that is their problem and not yours.

Ted, Ella and I are thinking of you and Pepper and we send lots of hugs and bum wiggles and chi snuggles xxx
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Medication may be part of the answer - but you can work that out in your own time. Life doesn't deal us the cards we expect and it's a shock when we weren't planning on dealing with what we get landed with, but we adapt. You & Pepper will be just fine once you've had a chance to research and absorb all the information and work out the best 'fixes' as far as they are possible, and managing what you can't fix will become second nature.

A quick google suggests that 6-10% of b itches are affected by spay incontinence - that's a high enough percentage that people really should be made aware of it before deciding to spay :?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

General figure admitted to is 20% but personal experience indicates a higher number.

After all, drugs companies wouldn't go to the expense of researching, developing and marketing drugs to treat a condition unless there was a clear customer base.

But it's all a trade-off. No perfect solution, just a series of options, none of which is ideal or easy.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS