Peeing in her sleep

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

rachel540

Peeing in her sleep

Post by rachel540 »

So i think my worst nightmare is coming true. Pepper wet herself while sleeping in the evening both saturday and sunday. On saturday she had a bad dream and i actually thought that could have been the reason, but sunday she slept fine and it still happened, then i wondered if it had anything to do with her swimming both days? Tonite however she has had a little dribble but thats all. Im instantly thinking incontinence, she was spayed last august. She is otherwise fine, eating and drinking fine, marking as much as usual on our walks. No other incidents through the night or 4 hours through the day when she is alone. Her vulva looks normal i think, no swelling or discharge.
Can someone please suggest something else as im really hoping it isnt because of something i have done to her :cry:
We are due to go to vest end of the month.
Pictures of Pepper viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14364
Nettle

Re: Peeing in her sleep

Post by Nettle »

Go to vet sooner and take a urine sample in case she just has a UTI. That's easily cured with antibiotics. :) Cranberry capsules can help maintain a healthy urinary system, but you will need ABs to begin with.

Otherwise it is likely to be a result of the spaying. There are meds for this that are worth trying, but check out side-effects as they don't suit all dogs. Homeopathy can help with some cases. With my own, the homeopathy helped in conjunction with a human medicine, but the standard dog meds were unsuitable. Human incontinence bedding is a godsend (wasn't available for my dog) as it wicks the moisture away from the dog so she stays dry.

There is a book by Prof. Peter Holt called (imaginatively) Canine Urinary Incontinence. It's a small book expensive for its size but packed with information.

Fingers crossed for a simple solution. ))))))))))HUG((((((((( and don't beat yourself up about it. Most vets don't know enough about spay incontinence either.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Here's something I thought I'd never say but I'm praying she has a UTI Rachel. Let us know how you get on.
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

Strangely enough this happened to Precious just about a week ago. Definitely not spay incontinence with him :lol: I thought it was a UTI but his sample came back clear. My only explanation is that he 'sleep-weed'.. It hasn't happened since so fingers crossed it was a one off, I don't have much advise I'm afraid but the one thing I've done is change our bedtime routine- I used to just take him out in the garden to pee for a biscuit before bed (which he would do very begrudgingly :lol: ), now I take him for a quick walk around the block just to make sure he is completely empty before bed. It seems to have helped, or at least it's not happened again so far. Hopefully Pepper will be just fine, who knows the swimming could have been a factor if she swallowed a lot of water (most dogs I've known do..)?
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

Thank you for your support. So my next question is - how do I get a urine sample :shock: I'm thinking rubber glove, wait until mid flow and sneak in behind her???

I feel sick about it and Clare I'm hoping its infection too, will let you know what the vet says.
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

Yeah I had fun collecting a sample :lol: it's easier with a boy dog, does Pepper ever **** her leg..? A container with a lid and largish opening would make it easier, I'm thinking a clean yoghurt pot or similar- I used a human sample bottle and got weed on quite a bit haha. Remember you only need a small amount- good luck with your efforts ;)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Ideally use a skillet or any long-handled frying pan. Slip it beneath her when she has got to the point of no return. If you don't have a long-handled pan extend the existing handle with something suitable. Better done in the garden, obviously!

It's a b itch getting a sample from a b itch :lol:

JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I've heard you can use a margarine tub attached to a stick, so you don't have to get too close and make her wonder what on earth you're up to :lol: I really hope it's something fixable :(
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

Vets use the margarine tub on a stick to collect samples for drug testing at sled dog races. I've done the same and it works reasonably well. OK, not always well, but it does work.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Nettle wrote:Ideally use a skillet or any long-handled frying pan.
Fry up anyone :shock: :lol:
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

So we had to take in a second sample and still waiting for the results - annoyed and frustrated is an understatement! Had another accident tonight, the worst so far :( will hopefully have results tomorrow and will let you know the outcome.
Another quick question though, we dont bath pepper but now this has happened shes needed a clean, so just used a wet cloth and towel dry so far but any suggestions to help clean her up?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Fingers crossed for an easy outcome.

Clean up exactly as you have been doing, and dry her well (which I expect you have been doing too).

rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

So we got the results, no infection or abnormalities :(
the vet is assuming a weakness to her bladder muscles and prescribed something to strengthen the muscle. I don't no what it is yet we are going back tomorrow.
The frustrating thing is the vet seems to think its normal because its "so common in spayed bit hes" but she cant tell me why its happened, now after 9 months after her op, and at just 2.5yrs old? What in the op happens to cause this effect on the bladder? Im really angry at the vet, myself and the situation in general :cry:

In terms of management we'll take Pepper out often like she was a pup, every couple of hours to try and wee, im looking for absorbent blankets to have in her crate, on her bed and on the sofa so nothing has to change for her and she will stay dry.

When i know what the medication is i will post, but can anyone make any recommendations?

Nettle im thinking she'll be prone to infection if this continues, where can i get the cranberry capsules? Or could i add fresh to her diet?

Speaking of diet, its a coincidence this has happened as we have gone 100% raw, would there be a connection?

My head is spinning at the moment while i sift through info online and nothing is really sinking in :( but any info is hugely appreciated x
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

There are several possible reasons for spayed b itch incontinence, the most common of which is as the hormone levels drop, the sphincter weakens, because it's the hormones that keep it tight and functional. This is why it has taken several months to show up. She has probably been leaking a little for some time. When your vet confirms the medication he has in mind, research it thoroughly for side effects so you are not caught out if there are any. Not all b itches have side effects. Not all meds suit all b itches.

Sometimes acupuncture can help strengthen the sphincter. Homeopathy was the lifesaver for my b itch, in conjunction with a human medicine.

You can give the cranberry any time. I only suggested capsules because it's easier to give to your dog, and you are getting a consistent dose. There is no harm at all in giving the real thing if she'll eat them. Also dandelion and milk thistle is very good - give as actual herbs, or in capsule form. You can get these at any health food outlet.

Nothing to do with the raw diet - if anything, this will help her keep healthy and her urine at the right PH levels..

She is not at any increased risk of infection. You will need to monitor her back end for urine scald.

I do recommend reading the Peter Holt book as it describes other reasons/causes such as the method of surgery or small malformations of the urinary system that would not otherwise have come to light. Also there is a Dobermann Pinscher forum on the 'Net which discusses this in honest and direct terms, as Dobies are one of the breeds which seldom survive spaying without becoming incontinent.

))))))))))))))HUG((((((((((((((((( I had fourteen years of this, and we are ALL here to support you. Don't feel lonely.

ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Oh goodness Rachel, I'm so sorry to hear this. I know you thought long and hard about whether to spay her and I can only imagine how you must be feeling :cry: .