Psychological problem?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

macylee36

Psychological problem?

Post by macylee36 »

My BC does a few weird things - I think all our dogs do - but his behavior the last couple days concerns me. He is refusing to go out the back door into the yard. Our other pup has no problem and is very excited to go out, but my BC doesn't want to. He shrinks back and retreats to another room. I can get him out with a ton of coaxing and then once he's outside he seems fine and runs off to find things to smell, but getting out the door....I really don't get it! He also has no problem going out the front door into the front yard.

There's a corner in the house that leads around the stairs into a hallway that he doesn't like walking by either. In fact, if you put shoes or a bag or vacuum in the hallway, he'll act like he's blocked and/or scared and won't pass it until you move the object. His vision seems fine - nothing bad has happened in either of these locations. I'd really like to figure out what is going on!
Aulie - 8 yo Border Collie/Australian Shepherd
Zoe - 4 yo German Shepherd/Norwegian Elkhound

Other pets:
Keoki - 10 yo kitty
4 chickens
2 turtles

Too many pets!
Nettle

Re: Psychological problem?

Post by Nettle »

You may never know, but you can take an educated guess.

Static shock
Slipped on surface
Other dog barged/cornered/snarked
Strange light patterns
Scary noises eg from washing machine
Nasty smells
People/dogs/animals outside
Door slammed on him

Take a think around those. Small things to us can be huge things to dogs. Dogs hate being cornered or crowded.

Meanwhile, take him out of the front door and in through the back door. These scares take time to get over, especially with BCs.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
macylee36

Post by macylee36 »

I dunno! I honestly don't think anything has changed or happened! Same fish tank sitting next to the door that's been there three years. Same dogs barking outside next door. Same younger pup living at home that annoys him and pushes him out of the way to get out.
Aulie - 8 yo Border Collie/Australian Shepherd
Zoe - 4 yo German Shepherd/Norwegian Elkhound

Other pets:
Keoki - 10 yo kitty
4 chickens
2 turtles

Too many pets!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Something definitely has happened because dogs don't change behaviour for no reason. You may have one reason in your last sentence, but that might not be the only reason. Thinking cap on! :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Remember that a dog's range of hearing is far greater than ours so just because you do not hear something does not mean its not there. Is the behavior consistent at all times that he is afraid of going out or is it certain times of day. Then Identify things going on around both in your yard, neighbors across the street etc... and see if those things are consistent at each time he exhibits his behavior.