Broth

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Broth

Post by JudyN »

Bit of a random question, this...

When Jasper was ill he wouldn't eat, but he absolutely loved chicken broth! There was quite a lot left over once he was better, but I wasn't sure how much I could give him at a time... given that he'd drink broth way beyond the point of thirst, how much is 'too much'? And of course, as it wouldn't satisfy his hunger, having filled himself up with liquid he'd still want a normal-sized tea.

So in case I end up with left-over broth in the future, should I be limiting it to little & often so he doesn't overload his stomach? I know the obvious answer is to freeze it for when needed, but my freezer's disorganised enough as it is.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Re: Broth

Post by Nettle »

If ill, I'd be happy with him scarfing down up to a pint at a time, but you have to plan ahead for getting rid of it later in the day/night. Hydration for a sick dog is really important as you know, and with a big chap like Jas, a pint is not too much. (unless he pukes - then it was :wink: ).

Once fit, I'd halve that. And personally I would give broth separately from a solid meal.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote:you have to plan ahead for getting rid of it later in the day/night.
Yep, I found that - I didn't want him to have it just before or after a walk, or shortly before I was going out, or coming up to bedtime...

Thank you :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
PHOENIX

Post by PHOENIX »

Hi Judy,

I am glad to hear Jasper is feeling better.

Depending how much broth you have, you can pour it into plastic cups and freeze it. The smaller portions will be "just right" for when he is feeling well, but you want to give him some additional flavor.

You can also pour it into ice cube trays. Once the cubes are frozen, remove them from the tray and put them into plastic bags.

Ringo's dad