Jasper isn't well

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: Jasper isn't well

Post by Nettle »

Best news of the day! :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

JudyN wrote:He was up and straight to the fridge this morning, couldn't wait for his brekkies :lol: He also did a nice poo in the garden, asked me to play out there for a bit, whined for his walk, was perfectly happy and bouncy on the walk, and did another poo that definitely told me I need to up his bone a bit more again now :lol:

So whatever he had, he's better!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

That's the best news I've read all morning.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

Happy dance!!!!! What wonderful news!!!!!!
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

Great news!
PHOENIX

Post by PHOENIX »

Hi Judy,

I am so happy to hear that Jasper is feeling better.

I hope you OH is feeling a bit better, too.

Ringo's dad
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Aaaaaand, he's ill again :( Fine this morning, and seemed keen to go out this afternoon, but wouldn't take treats. Even pizza crust :shock: He didn't want to get in the car and I didn't want to push the issue as he wasn't right, so we set off on foot... he seemed to want to go to the heath, but that's a long way to go with an iffy dog so we had an on-lead pootle. Then as we were nearing home again, he threw up yellow runny stuff (I got his muzzle off just in time). Then he sat down, which isn't normal for him if it's not in anticipation of a treat, then he lay down. After about 5 mins he got up and we went home. He's settled to sleep, so I'll be keeping a close eye on him.

He has had a few stressors yesterday & today - sofa moving, people sitting in the wrong places, DS2 & his GF came round yesterday & left this morning, we had a new washing machine delivered, and his meat order turned up - but I wouldn't have thought that alone would cause his symptoms.

Not after advice, but I thought I'd put the details here in case there's a connection with when he was ill before and then I'll have all the details in one place if we need to go to the vets.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Just back from a trip to the vet's. I was 90% sure he couldn't have bloat, but he was throwing up small amounts of white foam and standing looking very uncomfortable, and I didn't want to take chances. Of course, once I'd arranged to bring him he got on the sofa and refused to shift - in the end I put his lead on and pulled him off, which he didn't appreciate, and he let me know in his own special way - though a lot more gently than he would have done at one time! The he wouldn't get in the car and I had to ask a random passer-by to come & say hello to him from the far side :oops:

I could tell he was far from right at the vet's because he let her feel him and he didn't grrrrr at all until she took his temperature, which he certainly didn't like!

Anyhoo, his tummy feels fine, and it's definitely not bloat. He does have a temperature, though. And he threw up in the car on the way home, came in, had a drink of water, and then threw that up.

Poor OH came home to an empty house and a scrawled note saying ''Gone to vet. Phone battery flat. Probably nothing to worry about.' But being a resourceful sort, he checked on here to see what was happening 8)

The vet advised me to starve him tonight, but should I take his water up too? If he drinks there's a good chance I'll be mopping it up later, but obviously keeping him hydrated is important.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Oh, a couple more things I meant to ask:

1) He was rubbing his face a fair bit before we went to the vet. How would that connect with vomiting/fever?

2) I know what to look out for with bloat, but what are the definitive signs that can rule it out? I'm thinking bringing up semi-solids, and I know that gurgling tums are a good sign, but if there's no sign of the stomach distending, can I adopt a 'wait and see' approach?
PHOENIX

Post by PHOENIX »

Hi Judy,

I am sorry to hear Jasper isn't feeling well again.

I would not leave his water bowl down, but I would not deprive him from having water, either.

Give Jasper small amounts of water at any one time. You will know if it was "too much" at any one time, as he won't keep it down. But give him small amounts, frequently, so he does not get dehydrated. If Jasper likes them, you can put a few ice cubes in his bowl and let him lick those instead of having him drink. He will get the water more slowly, unless he likes to eat ice cubes. If he is the type who likes to eat ice, only let him have two or three ice cubes at a time.

Did his doctor say *why* he had a temperature?

I hope Jasper is feeling better soon.

Ringo's dad
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

PHOENIX wrote:Did his doctor say *why* he had a temperature?
Maybe something he ate... though I assume it could be just a random bug. The fever's not too high - she either said 39.1 or 39.4C.

Do you know, I didn't think of giving water little and often! :oops: That makes sense, of course - thanks :D

He's a very sad thing - he just went out to throw up again, lay down on the lawn for a bit, then just stood in the middle of the lawn for a few minutes, staring into space. Then he had a bit of a squitty poo, and seemed to feel a bit better then.
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Bless I hope he feels better soon clever OH using his detective skills :D
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Gaaaah, he seemed to have perked up this morning and had something to eat, but later he wouldn't even have broth and now he has projectile liquid poos :x Vet appointment booked for 4.30pm. Would it be worth taking a poo sample along? (Please say no :wink: ) Or is the vet likely to treat it more conservatively, with the usual fasting/chicken&rice and something to bung him up? They're pretty good at not chucking every available test at a pet if it's not needed.
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Might be a bit late now but I'd bring a sample if you can. Let us know how he gets on )))))hug((((
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Sounds as if the infection is moving through nicely. :) Do keep us posted. We're all sending goodvibes for Jas (and you of course).

What a sensible OH you have!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Just back - the vet has diagnosed a bout of enteritis, which basically translates as 'upset tummy' :lol: He also still has a bit of a temperature. When we got in the waiting room he cocked his leg on the door - he's never ever lifted a leg indoors, even at the vet's, so he's certainly not himself!

I have some tablets for him - salazopyrin, two twice a day for five days, though it's going to be fun getting them down him if he won't even eat boiled chicken. I'm not going to be sticking my hand down his throat :lol:

The poor lad - he was even more terrified in the vet's than he normally is - he ended up standing under the table with his head out one side & me holding him firmly, and his bum sticking out the other side... I was really glad he didn't have another projectile poo while having his temperature taken :lol:

If he's still not right the other side of the weekend, he may need blood tests but the vet doesn't want to do that unless he has to as it'll probably involve sedation.