My dog is a follower..

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

rawzon

My dog is a follower..

Post by rawzon »

when i take my lab for walks he always wants to walk behind me.. i'd like for him to be able to lead, it feels like im dragging him along instead of walking him. is there any tricks to get him to do that? i know a lot of people wish they had my problem :lol:
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Hi, I have that problem as well! :roll: I even tried a harness to see if that helped, but no, made no difference at all - but at least I'm not dragging him around by the neck!! I've tried all sorts of treats and tricks but to no avail .... We'll just have to put up with the neighbours laughing at us!! :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Am I misunderstanding? The dog is naturally walking to heel?

People would KILL for that!

Or do you mean the dog is pulling back on the lead?
rawzon

Post by rawzon »

Nettle wrote:Am I misunderstanding? The dog is naturally walking to heel?

People would KILL for that!

Or do you mean the dog is pulling back on the lead?
i know most people want that, i'd just like to have him in atleast next to me.. not following.
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Kato is always behind. Like I said at first I thought he didn't like the neck lead so I got a harness - nope the same. Very occasionally he will walk to heel but not often. My thoughts are that he used to get in a van and get out of a van. We had an experience with a large transit, the transit was stopping and parking up and Kato shot round to the drivers side (Kato doesn't do anything with out a reason), I think he was expecting to know the person getting out of said van. I've tried walking off lead, he is marginally better, but still lags behind then speeds up then falls behind again - obviously I'm not over keen at not having him on a lead for safety issues.

What do you think? is there hope for the 41/2 yr old going on 10!! :roll:
Cheetah

Post by Cheetah »

Is he interested in food? If he is, you could try luring him to your side with something yummy, like chicken.
Eevee, 10-year-old Border Collie mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo), 4-year-old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Been there!

I think that he really "doesn't get" road walking. It's not really a big problem, more annoying, but if that's my boy then so be it!! :roll: :lol: