Neutered male and intact female?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kirakira

Neutered male and intact female?

Post by kirakira »

Hello,

I am a new user and a rather new dog owner. My first dog (male, Mellow) is now 8 months and was just neutered yesterday.
We also had another male the same age, Berry, but he was unfortunately poisoned and died a month ago, which has been very painful and depressing for my husband and me.
The training is going very well and my dog, Mellow, is a happy and balanced dog.
We want to get another female pup now in a couple of weeks, who will be a younger sibling to our dog that died. It's not to replace him, since that is impossible, but it feels like we never really got to have our Berry, since he died so young.

My question is, is it a must to spay the female pup or can she be intact? Mellow, male, was neutered yesterday and although it's not as invasive as the surgery for females, he is uncomfortable and in pain and it hurts to see him like this.
I am afraid of the complications with a more invasive surgery for the female. I don't mind them mounting or other doggy behavior, and the two will be around the same size (Coton mix and Lhasa mix). But I'd like to avoid hormonal and other health complications.
Nettle

Re: Neutered male and intact female?

Post by Nettle »

The most obvious problem is that even though your male dog has been neutered, he will still be able to mate and tie. The only difference is that there will be no puppies. There is, however, a real risk of injury. So either he and the b itch will have to be kept apart when she is on heat, or she will have to be spayed.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
PHOENIX

Re: Neutered male and intact female?

Post by PHOENIX »

Hi Kirakira,

My sister volunteers for a dog rescue, and though she has had many female dogs spayed, it wasn't until my friend's dog was spayed that I have seen (or heard) of the following being done:

His vet gave him pain medication (chewables) to give to his dog for a week.

Because the medication was so effective, he was on strict orders to make sure she wasn't active, other than to go out to urinate/ eliminate for that first week. Crate rest was strongly urged.

My sister thought it was "unnecessary" for a dog to be given pain medication after the spay, but I thought it was a great idea. Why should our dogs and other beloved pets have to hurt so much just becuase they cannot tell us how much pain they are experiencing?

I don't know how you feel about pain medication, but speak to your vet about it. It is an option should you decide it is right for your dog.

Phoenix (Ringo's dad)