How to feed him

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ozzy

How to feed him

Post by Ozzy »

Hi,we have a jack russel cross with a shi tzu who is 13wks old,he now weighs 4 kg we feed him on iams puppy and junior feed ,now according to the packet he should have 225 grams a day which seems to be quite a lot i am frightend in case this is a lot and he piles on the weight ,he quite easily yumps his portions down , anyone got any views on the subject i would be pleased to hear them :D
catrinsparkles

Post by catrinsparkles »

I would stick to the recommended dose. He is unlikely to put on weight at this young age if you do this and DO NOT feed him human titbits.

even though he will be a small dog he will still be growing fast as a puppy and using up lots of engergy.

You can adjust his food/exercise as he becomes an adult....in consultation with a vet.
Ozzy

Post by Ozzy »

Hi thanks .he does not get any titbits at all,we were at the vets 2 wks ago and he weighed in at 3 kgs and she said that was bang on what he should be ,he now weighs in at 4 kgs,but got short legs and dont want him to be a fatty :D
catrinsparkles

Post by catrinsparkles »

I'm sure he will be fine, they do put on weight at an amazing rate as puppies, but it will even out as he gets older.

When a dog is an adult you should be able to feel their ribs easily but not neccesarily see them.
Ozzy

Post by Ozzy »

ok thanks for the re assurance