Limping

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sweetie's Human

Limping

Post by Sweetie's Human »

Hi Everyone,

Just after a bit of advice about Sweetie's joints. She limps a little bit every now and then. When it happens, she favours her front left paw. She's been to the vet for it previously, and they couldn't find anything (they didn't x-ray or anything, but by the time we got her there the limping had stopped :roll: ). They gave her some anti-inflammatories and told us to rest her for a few days. It cleared up fine, but has recurred a couple of times.

I've mentioned before, but just to have all the info here for anyone who thinks they can help:

Sweetie is a 7yo pug who spent her first 6 years in a puppy mill. She's got various ongoing health problems from that, including scars on her eyeballs from ulcers, only 7 teeth remaining, feet and legs are a little deformed, she was obese when we got her (still a little on the roly-poly side, but no longer obese), and I imagine that the number of litters she would have had would have drawn a lot of calcium from her.

She's raw fed and gets some bones every day (we chop chicken necks up into swallow-able pieces for her as she tries to swallow them whole due to her inefficient chewing!) and chews on a large recreational bone regularly. We also give her a bit of sardine every day to cover 'fish oil'. (Offal, etc as well).

So in light of her diet, past, misshapen legs/paws and intermittent limping, OH and I are thinking about maybe giving her a fish oil and/or calcium supplement.

Do you think this will be of any benefit given that she's already eating fish and bones? And is there anything we should keep in mind in terms of safety and dosage? Can anyone give examples of doses given to their dogs (and size of dog)?

Thanks in advance.

Sweetie's Humans
Sweetie's Human

Re: Limping

Should also add - we've checked her paw pads and they are normal
Sweetie's Human

On the off-chance that there's anyone else with a similar problem, we've started Sweetie on Sasha's Blend, which is a shell-fish derived joint supplement. It stinks to high Heaven, which means she loves it :roll: and so far so good, although it really hasn't been long enough for it to work. I'll update in a few months.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Thank you - it's always useful to find new products. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Sweetie's Human

Just remembered this - still no limping (touch wood). Maybe it's working.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

That's brilliant :D I hope it keeps working!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

JudyN wrote:That's brilliant :D I hope it keeps working!
Me too!!!!
PHOENIX

Post by PHOENIX »

Hi Sweetie's Human,

I hope Sweetie continues to do well.

You asked about supplements, particularly Fish Oil, that anyone was giving to their dogs.

Ringo weighed approximately 68 lbs. when I started giving him Fish Oil. His weight eventually dropped to 58 lbs. (right before he passed away), but the dosage of Fish Oil stayed the same.

Ringo was getting 1000mg of Fish Oil once a day.

I was also giving him 1000mg of Flax Oil once a day, until the development of the Atypical Cushing's Disease (resulting from the steroid.) Flax Oil is NOT recommended for those with Cushing's Disease (primary or secondary).

Ringo also took 300mg Glucosamine/ Chondroitin with MSM daily and he took 400 Units of Vitamin E once a week.

Wednesday's dinner also included one piece of (thoroughly rinsed) canned mackerel.

Ringo's dad
Sweetie's Human

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for sharing about Ringo's supplements. I'm sorry to hear he's no longer with you.

Sweetie's still doing well, but I'm not sure if it's the supplement or a coincidence. Either way, it's a good thing.

SH