Are we moving a few steps back?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Dawnflight1984

Are we moving a few steps back?

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

So Oreo had another bout of crazy vomiting and diarrhoea few weeks back that landed her back in the hospital to be put on an IV drip for 3 days.

After that, her vet put her on a cooked chicken breast meat (I cheated, sometimes I give chicken drumstick, wing and other meaty parts too), potato, papaya and wheatgrass diet. I must admit that the poop's beautiful and she is starting to gain back the weight she's lost when she was sick. I'd asked her vet whether it means we can start transiting back to feeding raw, but she doesn't seem keen because Oreo seems to be doing so fine on the diet now. In fact, the last time when Oreo had the acute pancreatitis attack, her vet was keen on keeping her on a cooked diet, but Oreo wasn't doing too well on it after a few weeks and started showing behavioural issues, licking floors, begging for food and coprophagia, so we went back to raw. I can't help but wonder if I'd brought on this new bout because I had asked if it's better to feed her raw again, although all the bad behaviour went as quickly as they came after the raw diet resumed.

Apart from that general feeling like feeding cooked food really just isn't as good as feeding raw, it's true that despite Ms O looking really happy to see food, she really doesn't seem to relish it as much as before, when she was digging into a whole raw chicken. I must admit, it's not as fun to watch her eat either. :lol: Should I just ignore vet's advice and feed raw again, bearing in mind too, that my vet is a holistic one who was actually the one who told us to feed raw in the first place, or should I just go on with the cooked diet, at least until bad behaviour rears its nasty head at us?
Nettle

Re: Are we moving a few steps back?

Post by Nettle »

We can't tell you to ignore your vet. It's clear you have a great vet, and that Oreo is getting over her stomach problems on the cooked diet.

But she is your dog and nobody can tell you what to feed her if you prefer to feed otherwise.

What would I do? I'd listen to my dog. And IF behaviour showed that I knew could be cleared up with raw, I'd try raw one meal at a time.

But please don't take that as telling you to go against your vet's advice. How about you tell the vet what you've told us and engage her help in re-introducing raw? You could both learn together.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Dawnflight1984

Re: Are we moving a few steps back?

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

Thanks Nettle! Our vet is indeed brilliant! That's where the dilemma lies in a way, I guess... I've been asking her every week, can we go back to raw yet? She's like, "why are you so hung up on getting her back on raw food?" I can't quite answer her apart from what I've mentioned (and the fact that I hate cooking, but I'll cook for my dog if that's what it takes, after all, she won't complain about my poor culinary skills :lol: ). But she's still of the opinion that for the moment, Ms O's probably better on a cooked diet.

Perhaps we'll transit only when behavioural issues arise and I'll discuss with vet again about putting her back on raw. Thanks again!