How should I treat an abscess?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Dawnflight1984

How should I treat an abscess?

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

So Oreo had an antibiotic injection about a month back for a bad infection she had. She turned out to be allergic to the medication :? and the skin on the injection site became necrotic. The skin eventually sloughed off about a week back, leaving behind a hole that was healing. It appeared to be healing well, scabbing over a 2nd time, but today, I noticed that the scab was coming off again, hanging on by a little tiny bit of skin, but under that falling scab, I realised that a really ugly pus-filled abscess was in that hole! :cry:

I pushed the scab back to cover the abscess carefully and then applied manuka honey on the area. Oreo does not bother it at all, but it really does not look good. Will the manuka honey alone help? Should I bathe the area with anything? Epsom salt perhaps? Or are there other more effective solutions?
Nettle

Re: How should I treat an abscess?

Post by Nettle »

Can you get homeopathic Hepar sulph? It's brilliant for abscesses. I give orally and at the same time poultice the abscess with honey/lavender/anything else I have to hand.

Don't worry if the scab comes off. The treatment will heal whether it is an open abscess or a closed one. Open ones heal faster.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Dawnflight1984

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

Nettle wrote:Can you get homeopathic Hepar sulph? It's brilliant for abscesses. I give orally and at the same time poultice the abscess with honey/lavender/anything else I have to hand.
I have it! 1 30c pellet?

Will try it in the morning after the girl gets up! It's storming here, but she's sleeping through the storm when she's got a thunderstorm phobia! I'm so not going to wake her up!

Thank you for the quick response!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Twice a day for 3 days, once a day for 2 then see how it is. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS