Doggie life jacket?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

McFeist

Doggie life jacket?

Post by McFeist »

Hi! I am the proud human of a rescue rat terrier, blind in one eye, that has come so far in the year and a half that I've worked with him. I can't say enough about how well this dog has responded to reward-based training along with lots of structure and leadership from his humans. He is an amazing little dog that has overcome a lot of behavioral issues.

Anyway, this summer Henry discovered that he absolutely loves the water! He loves getting in the lake and chasing sticks, but the problem is he isn't a very good swimmer and doesn't see too well with one eye, so if he loses sight of the stick, he flails around a lot. He's not very graceful at all. I thought it would be a good idea to get a dog life jacket for him. I've been keeping him on a long lead in the water so I can pull him to shore if I need to if he tires.

Has anyone used one of these? Are they effective? A friend of mine scoffed and told me he's a dog, don't spoil him, throw him in and he'll swim if he needs to. Of course, this friend and I have very different philosophies about dog training (he's heavy-handed and uses intimidation, etc.).

Thank you! Sorry this is so long!
Sara Jo

Henry's human
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I am more bothered about you throwing sticks, they are so dangerous to a dog. Have a look at this site and it isn't that unusual, many dogs are seriously injured with sticks.

http://www.colliecorner.com/stick-to-toys/home.htm
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
McFeist

Post by McFeist »

Yikes. Okay, no more sticks for us!

I'd really love to hear from anyone using a life vest and how it's working for them.

Thank you!
Sara Jo

Henry's human
McFeist

Post by McFeist »

Wow, I just read all of those case studies on the sticks. Very disturbing, and I thank you for sending me that information. Just to clarify so you all don't think I'm a horrible person, I don't routinely throw sticks to my dogs, and they have lots and lots of toys. The only time any of my dogs has chased a stick was in the water, and they usually don't make it to shore with the stick (I noticed that in a lot of those stories it was the ground or running with a stick that caused a problem). I will, however, be bringing appropriate toys to the lake from now on.

Bless you!
Sara Jo

Henry's human
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I don't think anyone thinks you are a bad person, we have all thrown sticks at one time until we found out what they can do. It is by passing on information like this that we learn.

Sorry I can't help with the life vest but I do know that many dogs wear them when on boats.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Dee-n-Josh

Post by Dee-n-Josh »

Swimming is great exercise, and I'm sure you can find a good floating toy for the pup to chase into the water. I saw some life jackets at Petsmart recently. I wish I could tell you about their efficacy, but Tiger won't go near the water! I'm sure its like looking for human life jackets, look for coast guard seal of approval, or some other respected authority.

Life jackets were used when Victoria recommended water play for Bumble and Doogle, the sheep dogs. So, I'm sure there are good ones out there.

And, if your friend objects to "spoiling" your dog with life protection... perhaps they would better understand that you are protecting your investment. We (here) know it is a love investment... but perhaps your friend will understand the monetary value better.
Tiger: 4 year old Basenji x something
Solo: 5 month old GSD x Rottie
Both were found at www.petfinder.com
clarsah

Re: Doggie Life Jackets

Post by clarsah »

I had a dachshund/basset hound that swam like a brick. I used a life jaket with him when we were around water. It worked really well. Just take your dog to the pet store, so you get it fitted right. It should be snug, but not tight.

Good Luck
Theresa

Post by Theresa »

Hi,
I lived in SC near lakes for 22 years and now in Florida near lakes and the the Ocean. I know lot's of people who use the vests on their pets and they work fabulous! I recommend them to anyone with small dogs especially. Everywhere you go in Florida you see dogs on boats and beaches wearing the vests.

I think it is a terrific idea!
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

Hunting supply stores will often carry life jackets/ wetsuits for dogs... they're usually bigger (gun dogs are typically labradors/ Brittany's and such) They're also usually in bright "hunter safety orange" which helps you keep your eye on your beastie.
I grew up/ am living in a pretty narrow minded small town. People don't understand a lot of things when it comes to dogs, so when I bought a wetsuit for my brothers dog (Jasmine or Jazzy the choc lab/ pit mix) my father looked at me like I had sprouted horns. Until I explained that if she's warm and bouyant she can hunt longer... now he and all his duck hunting friends sing praises...
:roll:
On a side note that dog is farking ADORABLE in her bright orange wet suit/ lifejacket combo :lol: I should try to get a picture of it...
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
D

Post by D »

I have a float coat for my GSD because we do a lot of cannoing. Hers came from a company called Crewsaver- you can order them on line, just measure from the bottom of the neck to the base of the tail. Ruffwear also do quite a good one.
shekate

Doggie Vest Works Wonders w/Tripod!

Post by shekate »

I have a rescued tripod (missing rear leg), and swimming was prescribed as a necessary exercise for strengthening his remaining back leg. I found a doggie life vest at a local dog specialty store and it's worked fabulously! From our first outing, after 1/2 hour of tenuousness near and in the water, my boy first doggie paddled hard and awkwardly, then the vest seemed to give him a sense of confidence. For the next 15 minutes he swam circles around us and seemed to decide this swimming stuff was fun!
The vests come w/a handle on top, so in an emergency you can lift your dog by a means other than his collar.
Good luck!
proud mom of rescued 3-legged shepherd boy, a certified therapy dog and beautiful blue-eyed husky girl
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

I would try to find a stick like rubber dog toy in place of a wood stick, it is bright colored, floats and won't harm your dog. As for the vest, I say go for it. make sure it fits well and does not restrict movement. I have dogs that go on our ski boat and they all have neon yellow life vests for two reason's, one, if they fall over board I can see them and so can everyone else. two, the vest has a "handle" on the back so I can reach over and get them back in the boat.

I say anything that is SAFE and fun for your dog, do it. Besides with a flotation devise he just may become a better swimer.

MaiasMom
The best days are spent with my dogs.
jwilder

Post by jwilder »

My cousin's three dogs all use life jackets when the family is out on their boat. The dogs use them anytime they are being pulled on the tube or the boogie boards, and they also use them to get the older dogs to shore when they anchor out.

My cousin swears by the vests, and they've saved her pug's life on at least two occasions when the dog jumped off the boat to chase ducks while the boat was moving. Her dogs go nuts when they see the vests being pulled out, because they know it means a day on the boat, which they love. Vests also give you extra assistance for easily getting your dog out of the water, or helping the dog swim if he's not a strong or natural swimmer.
LB

Life vest was great for my Lab

Post by LB »

My situation was alittle different than yours. I had a wonderful black Lab who lost one of her front legs to cancer. She loved to swim and we have a lake nearby. So....I got her a "Outward Hound" vest and she went swimming every day. She lived a good life for almost 4 more years post surgery. The swimming was great exercise. My brother had them for his two terriers when they lived on a boat. Unless there is something I don't know give it a try.
Mary Ellen

Post by Mary Ellen »

To the OP in Acworth, GA - I'm in Buford, GA, and it gets so hot & humid here in the summer, that I worry the doggie life jackets would be too hot for our dogs out on the lake. I saw a picture of a dog with a swim noodle wrapped around its middle, and that gave me the idea to try & create something similar that would just be a swim noodle strapped to the dog, instead of a whole-body polyester-wrapped jacket in 90+-degree heat with fierce humidity.

I haven't finished it yet, but here's the picture that got me thinking -- scroll down the page:

http://www.dragonflyllama.com/%20DOGS/B ... g13mo.html