Feeding raw frozen?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Dawnflight1984

Feeding raw frozen?

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

I know there are those who feed the dogs their raw meaty bones and raw meat frozen, others who feed them thawed. But is there any real reason not to feed the food frozen?

I'm asking because my vet had advised I thaw the meat to at least chilled before feeding. My very Chinese mum says from the TCM point of view, it's best to feed warm food to anyone because it's a shock to the system (which is usually in the 30+ Celsius range) cold food.

But, I vaguely remember Oreo eating and stopping when she's full when I fed her frozen food. This is especially important for me now because she's starting to show signs of frustration and annoyance when I pick her food up and the last thing I want is for her to grow food aggressive. I can choose to chop her food to portions, but she doesn't chew and crunch the bones when they are in smaller portions and the bigger bony portions don't digest well.

Any other options for me? Or any real disadvantages of feeding my girl her frozen chicken/pork with all the bones in?
Nettle

Re: Feeding raw frozen?

Post by Nettle »

Sorry I'm being thick here but I'm not clear why you want to feed Oreo her food frozen.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Dawnflight1984

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

When I used to feed her frozen food, she takes a longer time to eat, vaguely remember her stopping when she's full. Thought I might be able to pick the food up without her feeling like she needs to be protective over it. But I'm not sure if that will outweigh the possible health detriments of cold food.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

No serious health detriment - might give some a runny tummy, might be hard on the teeth of a very small dog or one with poor dentition.

But food is food, frozen or thawed, and if a dog is protective over it, that won't change. That kind of dog needs to be lured away from the leftover food with a reward, or fed less at each meal so none is left over.

Fundog

Post by Fundog »

The reason I feed frozen is that Dottie does not like the texture of fresh/thawed food. (I'm working on that, though, little by little). The only side benefit I've seen is that chewing frozen does give them a better workout, and does a better job cleaning their teeth. And while it has been so hot here in the summer, the frozen meals helps to keep them a little bit cooler. (They take all their meals outside, unless the weather is just too unbearable). I have not noticed any other health difference between eating fresh and frozen, though.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Dawnflight1984

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

Thanks guys! I gave Miss O a frozen chicken that day and I nearly died laughing. I don't think I will feed her too much frozen raw from now on.

She got through about 2/3s of a chicken (that's about 800g) when her daily ration is only about 150g. Chopping up her food to portions is not really an option if I want to give her anything with bones in it because she doesn't chew anything smaller than her head, thus the decision to feed the entire carcass and pick up after she's roughly finished a day's worth of rations. But that day's dinner was truly epic. The chicken was so cold that her entire left flank was cold by the time she was done and she was shivering from it. I guess because it was so cold and not too easy to eat, she didn't complain much when I tried to pick it up without having to fight her for the meat. But it somehow didn't feel quite right to feed her something this cold that leaves her with a brain freeze and a cold pack for a tummy!

Needless to say, she's not getting any more chicken for a few days. Just a few bites of dehydrated raw premix and table scraps if any.

:lol:
meggit

Post by meggit »

all buddys raw food is served frozen reason being if it was thawed he would swallow it whole at least frozen he has to attempt to chew before swallowing :D
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

In our extreme climate in the Interior of Alaska, there are some practical reasons for feeding either warmed or frozen. Here's an example. My sled dogs live outdoors, and because they are working dogs they are pretty lean. During bitter cold temperatures I warm their food pretty darned warm, higher than room temperature, so they don't have to use as much energy rewarming their bodies after eating.

While working on the trail, I give each dog a 1/4 lb snack of meat or fish every two to 3 hours, and these are fed at least chilled and more frequently frozen. There is no practical way to warm them while running down the trail with a sled, and I think the cooler snack helps prevent overheating while the dogs are working.

Snack breaks for dogs are also snack breaks for the human, but feeding out dog snacks and then chomping down a sandwich and drinking soup from a thermos doesn't take very long - usually less than 10 minutes before we are back on the trail.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Thanks Swanny - this is all so interesting. :) I really appreciate this chance to learn more.