what to do

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

meggit

what to do

Post by meggit »

im really getting worried about this with buddy yet again this morning hes refused his food, we have had a good few days hes eaten well and was full of energy again and for the first time in weeks we managed to go for a good walk yesterday, this morning hes energyless hes just lieing in his bed wasnt interested in greeting my grandson (normally hes all over him like a rash) he is drinking the water thats down but wont eat food, only thing that was different yesterday was that it was warm and after our walk he was lieing in the garden for a good while him and the two cats all there sunbathing lol. so now i just dont know what to do
JudyN

Re: what to do

Post by JudyN »

Did you take him back to the vet last week, meggit? Do you know how much weight he's lost since he was first ill?

Hot weather can exhaust dogs, so he could have overdone it yesterday. But the advice really has to be to discuss it with your vet who can examine him and decide on any tests that might show an underlying problem.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
meggit

Post by meggit »

i have a reserved seat at the vets at the moment lol so far vet cant find a medical reason for whats wrong, hes not being sick at the moment so that is a plus hes just lieing on his bed looking at us, he barely moved since i got up so something is wrong
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

In your position I'd take him to a different vet practice. Something is obviously not right with him and it's not enough for the vet to say *shrug* they can't find it. You need some investigative work. Has he had X-ray? What tests has he had?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
meggit

Post by meggit »

no tests just poked and prodded and temp taken, it seems that he can do a few days of being fine then hes right downhill again, nothing has changed in his diet have noticed today that hes eating a lot more grass than he normally does, but hes not been sick hes very lethargic OH says im worring over nothing and buddys just having a bad day
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

I agree with Nettle, for this to be going on for so long you need a second opinion. Or you need to push the vet to carry out tests - has he not even done a blood test? Or tested a poop sample?

Oh Meggit I'm sorry he's not well it must be awful seeing Buddy like that, but as Mummy you need to stick up for him and make people work towards making him 100% well, and I'm afriad it's your job to do that.
Pictures of Pepper viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14364
meggit

Post by meggit »

well we went back to the vet and saw a different vet in the practice, weve got more anti sickness tablets and after much pushing finally got a blood test for pancreatitus (not spelt right sorry) but buddy was quite lively when we got there and the vet offered him dog choc and silly animal ate them so now its me thats worrying for no reason hes eating, yea right, i told him that buddy as he is now is not my dog my buddy is a lively pain in the neck. hes lost over a kilo in weight now and he was a light weight dog in the first place, if it is the pancreas thing then he will have to go on to a low fat diet but i said hes raw feed thats not a fatty diet and i got the eyes raised look from the vet
i will keep you updated to how he is meantime any ideas more than welcome (thinking of nettle at this point lol )
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I'd be concerned that he has swallowed a foreign object and has a partial blockage, and the only procedure that will find that out is X ray. So if the pancreatic test comes back negative that would be worth trying.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Nettle wrote:I'd be concerned that he has swallowed a foreign object and has a partial blockage, and the only procedure that will find that out is X ray. So if the pancreatic test comes back negative that would be worth trying.
This is what I was thinking too, that an x-ray is the next logical course of action.

Thinking good thoughts for your Buddy. Hope it all resolves soon!
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
meggit

Post by meggit »

well what ever is wrong with him is strange hes eating again this morning and is semi lively so do i put that down to the anti sickness tablets the vet gave him or is the same as whats been happening (couple of days of being semi ok then back to ill again)
meggit

Post by meggit »

got the blood test results back, liver, pancreas ect all ok which is the best news, so now i hope that the anti sickness tabs work this time and he gets better if not its back we go
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

I've not got much advice to offer I'm afraid but wanted to say I wouldn't be overly worried about the grass eating. When the late spring/early summer grass comes though Ted turns into a grazing cow as do a lot of dogs that I know :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
meggit

Post by meggit »

yea i need to train him to eat more of it then i could sell the lawn mower :)
buddy is much better today hes been playing and being a pain in the neck which i take as a good sign but saying that he improved last week then went down hill again so i wont count my chickens just yet
gwd

Post by gwd »

ClareMarsh wrote:I've not got much advice to offer I'm afraid but wanted to say I wouldn't be overly worried about the grass eating. When the late spring/early summer grass comes though Ted turns into a grazing cow as do a lot of dogs that I know :D
grass seems to really irritate baby girls tummy........she only eats grass when she's got an upset tummy and i know when i see her looking for the few sprigs that pop up in my back yard she'll be puking in less than 10 min. it's almost as if she knows that it works as an emetic.
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

gwd wrote:grass seems to really irritate baby girls tummy........she only eats grass when she's got an upset tummy and i know when i see her looking for the few sprigs that pop up in my back yard she'll be puking in less than 10 min. it's almost as if she knows that it works as an emetic.
I know some pooches do that but with Ted (and lots of his doggy friends) grazing on grass is "THE big thing" at this time of year. There are even certain clumps/areas where the dogs seem to like to chow down, we bumped into Ted's mate Jackpot grazing on one such clump this morning :lol:
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids