still a poorly dog

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

meggit

still a poorly dog

Post by meggit »

well i thought buddy was getting better i had given him light meals and slowly intorduced the raw food back in and yesterday he was almost back to normal still a bit off but only i could tell everyone else thought he was ok, when i got up this morning he refused his food again and was very off he was following me round like a lost lamb bless him next thing i new he threw up again just fluid no food then he just lay next to me shaking so off to the vets we went again vet checked him over temp is fine stomache feels fine and he says maybe hes just still feeling a bit "off" so gave me some meds to make him feel less sick and away we went, well poor buddy is still out of sorts hes not left his bed since we got back he just stares at me when i go to fuss him hes refused his dinner again this evening poor little thing looks so un happy
meggit

Re: still a poorly dog

Post by meggit »

ok am very worried about buddy now i just got him a tiny piece of cooked chicken out to stuff his tablet in and he refused it i took the tablet out of it and he still refused it oh what to do what to do
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Sorry, I've no real advice, but just wanted to send you some moral support (((((((hugs))))))).

There's something on checking for dehydration here - it might be worth checking for signs, and certainly ring your vet if you think he might be dehydrated: http://www.the-happy-dog-spot.com/dehyd ... -dogs.html How confident are you in your vet in general? If he's going downhill since he saw the vet today I'd definitely ring again and if you feel you're being fobbed off, consider getting a second opinion.

Follow your instincts - good dog owners and 'real' mums know that 'He's not quite right but only I can tell' feeling and they're usually right. And even if it is just a minor tummy upset that's made him lose his appetite completely, better safe than sorry.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
meggit

Post by meggit »

i have used this vet for years i do trust him but buddy seems worse now than when he first started being ill 6 days ago maybe im just being a worry wart but i hate to see him like this
thanks for the huggs xxx
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

Hi! Sorry no advice either other than to persist and take him back to the vets. Follow your gut instincts. The vet needs to explore other avenues and find out whats wrong. Dont worry about being a pain or a nuisance its your Buddy you need to think about. Not eating for 6 days isnt good at all :( Keep us posted. (((hugs to you both)))
Pictures of Pepper viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14364
meggit

Post by meggit »

he has eaten not a great deal as i had him on chicken broth more broth than chicken at first then increased the chicken in the broth and got him back on small chicken wings we were nearly back to his proper diet then today it all went wrong hes lost nearly a kilo in weight and being a lean dog its really showing on him something is really bothering him tonight for the first time since he was a pup hes insisted on sitting on my knee normally hes happy with being by my feet or on the couch next to me so i know something more is going on so it will be back to the vet tommorow morning i think.
thankyou for your support xx
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Is he drinking? If not - I would consider emergency vet where they can inject fluids into him....
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

I'm coming to this a bit late and like the others I'd be off to the vet sooner rather than later.

My question is is there any chance it's the chicken itself that is causing the problems? Not sure how long you've been raw feeding him but in your response you said it was going ok, the raw wings were reintroduced and then it went wrong again. So could it be a chicken allergy (even if he didn't previously have one), or has your chicken supply changed at all or has your chicken supplier changed their supply?

I don't think this negates the need for the vet but it might be something to consider.
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

How's Buddy doing, meggit?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009