poorly dog

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

meggit

poorly dog

Post by meggit »

well poor buddy has not been himself for a couple of days and then started to refuse food and was sick evreywhere (yuk) so i thought ok now thats out of his system he will improve. got up this morning and he is still refusing food and is very lethargic this morning so i phoned vets and have an appointment for this morning, so whats my dog doing now running round and playing with the cat but he can try to fool me all he likes hes still going to the vet
JudyN

Re: poorly dog

Post by JudyN »

If you hadn't phoned the vet he'd have been lying around looking miserable! :lol: Hope he's much better soon.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
meggit

Post by meggit »

hes got a tummy bug bless him little bit of blood in his poo and stomache is tender vets given him some antibiotics as there is some blood and some paste to line his guts and said no food for today (poor dog is sulking now lol ) and suggested light meals such as scrambled egg for the next couple of days, any one got any other suggestions of what i could give him hes normally raw fed any ideas would be helpfull
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I think chicken soup made from a real chicken takes some beating. Take the meat off the bone, add some honey and a little salt to the fluid and serve a little at a time, say four times a day.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
meggit

Post by meggit »

thanks nettle am cooking chicken as we speak, poor buddy is searching the floor looking for something to eat so do you think it would be ok to give him a little chicken soup
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I would if he were mine. It rehydrates them and replaces lost salts.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
meggit

Post by meggit »

thanks nettle ive think youve just become buddy's new best friend lol
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

My typical routine for similar symptoms is to fast the dog for 24 hours, administer an appropriate antibiotic if needed, and then feed him or her chicken stock and rice the next day. The morning feeding will be a pretty small amount of rice in the stock, and if s/he eats that and doesn't have vomiting or diarrhea issues, I'll add more rice to the stock for the evening meal. If still no issues I'll mix the stock/rice half and half with the dog's regular breakfast ration and that evening have the dog back on his or her regular feed.

Thus far it's been very effective most of the time.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
gwd

Post by gwd »

Swanny1790 wrote:My typical routine for similar symptoms is to fast the dog for 24 hours, administer an appropriate antibiotic if needed, and then feed him or her chicken stock and rice the next day. The morning feeding will be a pretty small amount of rice in the stock, and if s/he eats that and doesn't have vomiting or diarrhea issues, I'll add more rice to the stock for the evening meal. If still no issues I'll mix the stock/rice half and half with the dog's regular breakfast ration and that evening have the dog back on his or her regular feed.

Thus far it's been very effective most of the time.
i also follow the 'fast for 24" rule to let the intestines have a rest.