Sasha ate a pack of tea lights!!!!

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bendog

Sasha ate a pack of tea lights!!!!

Post by bendog »

Sasha has had runny poo all day today and was a bit down, and sick twice, which I put down to her eating something dodgy but I didn't know what. Or maybe just a bug.

Well, I've just walked into the box room, which the dogs aren't allowed in and the door is almost always shut, to find an entire pack of tea light candles all over the floor, just the metal parts, she seems to have eaten most of the wax :shock:
I don't even know how she got in there, and I've obviously just pulled the door shut if I saw it open and not looked inside until I just went in to feed the gecko.

She must have eaten them yesterday, or even Tuesday, as it was overnight that the runny poo started and she hadn't been out of my sight most of yesterday.

They are just bog standard non scented tea lights but I am guessing this is going to mean the vets first thing tomorrow!?

What worried me most was that when I've just taken her out to poo just now she didn't do anything. So I am panicking all the wax has blocked her up.

I will ring the vets and get an appointment first thing in the morning. Is there anything we should do tonight?
minkee

Re: Sasha ate a pack of tea lights!!!!

Post by minkee »

Oh no!! Poor Sasha, and poor you! A cursory glance at the internet suggests that although obviously not great, it's not such a bad thing and should just pass through. I'm sure you've read the same though, so all I can give is sympathy. If you're feeling really worried you could always ring the vets - they should have an emergency vet on (I think??) who'll tell you any measures you could take in the meantime.

Hope she's feeling better soon.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I should think matters will have resolved by now - terriers are tough! I expect you have had vast amounts of waxy poo to clear up :shock:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
bendog

Post by bendog »

Yes she pooed overnight which I'm quite relieved about as she was trying and nothing came out before bed.

It is disgusting though.

I wouldn't be worried if it was just one or two candles, she's had about 20 odd :shock:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

She should go out like a light tonight :mrgreen:

So glad to hear she's OK!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
gwd

Post by gwd »

count the metal parts and make sure she didn't get one of those. .....a friend lost her ***** from my litter to a tea light but she'd eaten the metal bits too. in fairness, i imagine that the tea light was just the final straw for her as she'd had 3 bowel obstruction surgeries already. she was a garbage eater, rocks, sticks, pinecones........so her intestinal track wasn't in the best of shape because of the previous damage.
bendog

Post by bendog »

Gwd I would but I don't know how many were in the pack to start with. It was a pack of 100 but I have used quite a few.
bendog

Post by bendog »

Well, she survived the tea light ordeal but now the swine has pinched a whole loaf of bread :shock:

We have had some pretty horrific poos to clean up indoors and out (since she did half her poo outside then decided to finish it off on the carpet :twisted: ) so she's sleeping in the kitchen tonight so if she does do anything it's easy to mop up.
abbyneo

Post by abbyneo »

bendog wrote:Well, she survived the tea light ordeal but now the swine has pinched a whole loaf of bread :shock:

Oh how familiar this sounds. Hope there's not too much to clean up in the morning! Abby says...if you'd just leave the bread on the floor for us, we wouldn't have to steal it!