Black pudding

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jodieohdoh

Black pudding

Post by jodieohdoh »

Hiya!

A local dog trainer has advised my friend to use black pudding as a high value reward. I thought all black pudding was made with onion? Is it maybe such a small amount that its not harmful to the dog? Does anyone here know if it really is safe?

Thanks!

Jo
Nettle

Re: Black pudding

Post by Nettle »

I don't know, but if you get your black pudding from a butcher they will know what they have put in it, and if it's from a groceries shop, ingredients will be on the label.

Personally - I'd use liver. :wink:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
jodieohdoh

Post by jodieohdoh »

Thank you Nettle! :)
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Or... you can make your own black pudding, and you don't have to use onion! :D

This will sound really strange, but I've been reading on another Raw Feeders Forum that a lot of those members dogs don't like liver-- they have to shove it down their dogs' throat like a pill! :shock: They do that, because they know the dog needs it as part of the diet to be healthy. Their dogs won't eat it any other way. Can you believe that? I never heard of a dog that didn't love liver until I got on that forum! :shock:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I never knew a dog that didn't go mad for liver either :shock: just shows we learn something new every day.

Liver isn't vital. I rarely feed it except as treats, not for any particular reason other than we have so much choice of other food (lucky us, I know). If a dog doesn't like something, there are plenty of other somethings it can eat which have equal nutritional value. We humans tend to get fixated on details, but raw feeding is more broad-brush.

jodieohdoh

Post by jodieohdoh »

So I made liver cake tonight. BOY DOES MY HOUSE STINK!!
bendog

Post by bendog »

Nettle - what are the alternatives to liver then?

Mine love liver and get quite a lot (about 100g each a week) and maybe half a pig or lamb kidney too, and heart and tripe sometimes, but no other offal, and if I am honest I am crap at remembering to give certain quantities or ratios of certain stuff so offal is pretty much just given when I remember (I feed game mince once in a while too in kongs etc which I believe contains some offal too)

But I always try to give liver once a week or so as I thought it was essential?
andymill

Post by andymill »

I do a fry up every Sunday and always do Black Pudding with it. I get "Bury" Black Pudding from my local butcher.
I do a little extra as a treat for my dogs. Think its ok as long as they don't have it to often.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Bendog it sounds as if your dogs have a great diet. :D It isn't essential for them to have liver or even other offal, but 'some' is nice for them when you can get it, so just feed as you have been doing.