Allergy to apples = allergy to apple cider vinegar?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Dawnflight1984

Allergy to apples = allergy to apple cider vinegar?

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

So I've figured out that Oreo can't quite take apples without breaking out in itchy hives. I use apple cider vinegar (ACV) quite a bit, as a sanitiser, floor detergent, flea and tick repellent... Since it's now rather certain that Oreo can't take apples, should I extrapolate that to mean Oreo won't be able to take ACV well too? What alternatives do I have that will replace ACV if I can't use ACV on Oreo anymore?
Nettle

Re: Allergy to apples = allergy to apple cider vinegar?

Post by Nettle »

Lavender oil is pretty good used on the dog itself. It's rather expensive to be used as a general cleaner. But Oreo may be fine with ACV - let the dog tell you. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Dawnflight1984

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

Nettle wrote:Lavender oil is pretty good used on the dog itself. It's rather expensive to be used as a general cleaner. But Oreo may be fine with ACV - let the dog tell you. :)
Aww... Lavender oil was the first oil we considered for essential oil therapies and tested for allergies and alas, she's sensitive to it. :? I'll keep trying the ACV and observe to see if she reacts adversely to it. Thanks!
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Do you use ACV externally or internally? I cannot eat many fruits including apples and grapes, this also means I am sensitive to wine, cider, certain vinegars, so if you are using it internally then you might well find the sensitivity is still there (though may not be obvious). If you are using it externally then you might be fine - as Nettle says, let the dog tell you!
Dawnflight1984

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

Horace's Mum wrote:Do you use ACV externally or internally? I cannot eat many fruits including apples and grapes, this also means I am sensitive to wine, cider, certain vinegars, so if you are using it internally then you might well find the sensitivity is still there (though may not be obvious). If you are using it externally then you might be fine - as Nettle says, let the dog tell you!
I use ACV both externally and internally. I'll try it again. I like to feed her a little ACV to help alkalise her diet a little, get rid of the stains in her beard, apply it on her itchy spots to ease her itch and repel ticks, use it to clean her living areas so that all bacteria and fungi is killed off by the vinegar. Not sure how much I can get away with... Back to trying and experimenting, I guess! =)
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

If she does turn out to have a sensitivity to ACV, would you be able to substitute white distilled vinegar for your external needs instead? (I have no idea if it would be good internally, so won't suggest that.) But, when my sister's dog comes to visit (a lovely, sweet chi that has just one vice - he lifts his leg in my house) I use white vinegar to clean it with. Just a thought for you . . . :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
gwd

Post by gwd »

Dawnflight1984 wrote:I use ACV both externally and internally. I'll try it again. I like to feed her a little ACV to help alkalise her diet a little, get rid of the stains in her beard,
i know people with poodle and bichons that use a daily tums tablet to keep the red yeast tear staining and mouth staining at bay. i know some springer people that swear by adding powdered buttermilk to the food for the same reason. springers don't tend to get the eye staining but they do get the red under the chin and also between the toes.