turkey neck question

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

lucyandbella

turkey neck question

Post by lucyandbella »

I bought some turkey necks for my dogs…I didn’t realize the necks were so big. I’m planning to wait until next weekend in case it makes them sick (I want to be home if they are sick) and I am going to give them a turkey neck instead of their morning meal. My dogs are 37 and 39 pounds, can they eat a whole turkey neck or should they only eat half? Also can I give it to them frozen?
ClareMarsh

Re: turkey neck question

Post by ClareMarsh »

At your dog's weights they should get about 2% of their body weight day in raw food so around 700g. So it depends on how heavy the necks are as to whether they get another meal that day or not. Does this make sense?

Do you usually feed raw, I only ask because neck bones can be heavy on the bone, a dog used to raw will cope no issue but if they don't usually eat raw they may find that amount of bone hard to digest in which case I'd give less neck (chop in half not into pieces) and add some heart or breast meat.

And yes you can feed frozen, some dogs will be fine with this, some won't like it and will wait for it to thaw so be warned if you don't have much time :lol:

And just for anyone else thinking about raw feeding I personally would never leave a dog unsupervised with a raw meaty bone, just to be on the safe side :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
lucyandbella

Post by lucyandbella »

They are not normally fed raw, but they are on high quality kibble. The reason I want to feed some raw bones is Lucy’s teeth; bully sticks and other things like that don't clean her teeth at all. I do plan on switching to raw within a few years, unfortunately where I live now I only have a tiny freezer. I will supervise the whole time of course, I just meant I want to be home all day that day in case they need outside for more bathroom breaks if it makes their stomach upset.

I'm not sure the weight of these turkey necks they are probably 10 inches long and seem to be pretty thick and have meat on them.
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

I'll warn you once you start feeding raw you get addicted :wink:

From googling weights I've got anything from 250g to 750g for turkey necks :shock: So I guess you likely need to weigh them if you want to work out how many is a day's worth, or how much kibble to feed later (feed it separately as it travels at different rates through the system) :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
lucyandbella

Post by lucyandbella »

Thanks for all the info. I don't have a food scale but I will buy one tomorrow I am sure I will need one anyways if I start to feed raw. As for the warning, I probably will become addicted; I am already really excited to be giving them just some turkey neck. My dad was with me when I bought the turkey necks and now he is interested in it for his dog. So by next year there may be three more dogs on a raw diet. :D
Dawnflight1984

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

lucyandbella wrote:They are not normally fed raw, but they are on high quality kibble. The reason I want to feed some raw bones is Lucy’s teeth; bully sticks and other things like that don't clean her teeth at all. I do plan on switching to raw within a few years, unfortunately where I live now I only have a tiny freezer. I will supervise the whole time of course, I just meant I want to be home all day that day in case they need outside for more bathroom breaks if it makes their stomach upset.

I'm not sure the weight of these turkey necks they are probably 10 inches long and seem to be pretty thick and have meat on them.
Remember to give them a slight half day fast since they're not normally fed raw. I know of people who get scared off raw feeding because their dogs had diarrhoea after mixing kibbles and raw in the same meal. Point is to give the kibbles enough time to digest before the raw is introduced. =)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Also remember meals don't have to be the same size. Mine often get a feast day followed by a couple of light days, according to what is available. So if you get a pile of food in and don't have the storage, it's perfectly okay for the dogs to have a bit of a banquet and then cut their food down over the next few days.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
lucyandbella

Post by lucyandbella »

I thought I would update on my dogs getting turkey necks to clean their teeth.

Lucy and Bella have been getting turkey necks about once a week for a month now in replacement of a meal. I never saw any digestive issues and they are handling it well, the day they get a turkey neck they also get kibble, but 12 hours apart. The first time it took them both an hour to figure out what to do and how to go about eating it, now they are pros. They love them! What’s funny is Lucy doesn’t like it to touch her fur, she will not grab the neck with her paws or legs at all (Bella on the other hand holds hers). Instead her legs are spread as far apart as possible as she eats the neck, making her neck fur nasty with turkey. Lucy is also the dog that seems to like raw more, which surprised me since Bella is a kibble gulper. I am only wondering why Lucy doesn’t like it to touch her.

I am happy to say that after having just turkey necks once a week the plaque on Lucy’s teeth (at only two years of age), and some blackening along the gum line that had me worried, is completely gone!!!! Her teeth are all pearly white and before feeding these necks I was going to bring her in for a dental, I am so happy the plaque came of naturally and now her teeth and gums are healthy!!!

I am looking into switching to raw now; I am an indecisive person and have to do tons of research before I commit to something though. So I ordered a few books and I am going to read them once finals are over (in two weeks) and do all my research over my winter break.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Remy doesn't like the meat to touch his fur either - which I don't mind, as he's a light coloured dog. Sam is less discriminating and prefers to make as much of a mess as possible, then attempt to shred his feeding towel after. :roll: Glad the turkey necks worked! I haven't tried those with the boys yet, but I will have to. I'm always worried about Remy and heavy bones as he's missing a lot of teeth. Maybe I can find some of the lighter ones.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Oh, this is funny! I thought Piper was the only dog who just won't touch her RMB's with her paws. I've seen her raise her leg and almost put it down on the RMB to hold it in place, then with her paw hovering in the air, she'll get this alarmed look on her face as if wondering what in the world she was just about to do, then put her foot back down on the ground well away from her meal. :lol: She just hates being messy in any way and even when she's done eating, although she doesn't have any visible signs of food on her mouth (heaven forbid!!) she will spend several minutes after every meal wiping her muzzle back and forth in the grass or on my carpet. But I adore her little quirks. :wink: :D :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Dogs are so funny - Honey won't let anything "icky" touch her feet, anything wet, squishy or cold will get the same look as Piper and if she stands on something by accident she'll end up eating with a paw or 2 in the air :lol:

Except RMB - she'll get get stuck right in there even using her nails to hold the bone in place, she'll practically lie on her food now. I don't mind but for whatever reason lamb is the one thing that makes her really smell of raw meat (it doesn't hang around too long thankfully).
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules