I chopped up a chicken!

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Dawnflight1984

I chopped up a chicken!

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

Ok, I know that's kinda lame, but I'm just so happy and feeling so liberated that I just had to share. Before I fed Oreo raw, I don't even know how to cut an apple. But today, because the supermarket ran out of trays of pre-packed chicken breast meat, and I have run out of chicken at home, I bought an entire chicken home. :lol:

Chopping it up was easier and a lot more fun than I thought it would be. And I finally understood why people said it is a lot more economical. Usually 4 trays of chicken will feed Oreo for 4 days and it will cost me $10-$13. Today's chicken was the most expensive, hormone-free chicken and it costs me $9. Most chicken are sold at $6-$8. And when I chopped it up, threw away the feet, hind end, neck and head, I came up with 7 portions, enough to feed the girl for a week! That means with the same amount of money, I can feed Oreo for 2 weeks.

Having said that, I must say I'm still experimenting. As of now, raw feeding is still more expensive than feeding kibbles (although I know and I can profess that despite her extreme allergies, Oreo is doing far better). A bag of Orijen kibbles cost less than $50 and will last me for 6 weeks. Feeding chicken alone, even if I were to buy the whole chicken to chop up, will cost me $54. That is not inclusive of the other foods that I feed Oreo like the oils, offals...
Nettle

Re: I chopped up a chicken!

Post by Nettle »

WOO-HOO well done! :D

Now back to the bin, extract the feet, hind end and neck, and your dog can eat these and will love them (cut the last joint off the toes so no claws).

If the giblets were left in, you can feed all these, but if you had to gut it, throw away the intestines.

You are doing SO well!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Can't the head be eaten, Nettle?

Well done! I bought OH a cleaver so he does most of the chopping :wink: I'd love to be able to buy free-range etc. for Jasper but one chicken lasts him a day and a bit :shock:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

yep, the head can be eaten but should be frozen for a coupla weeks first in case of any nasties. I was being kind to OP :wink: thought it would be enough of a challenge to get the feet, neck and parson's nose out of the bin :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Dawnflight1984

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

I contemplated for a long time before I threw those out because they didn't look meaty enough. The next chicken! Maybe I won't even chop it. Just put a chicken down and let Oreo at it. Maybe it'll last more than a week! :P
meggit

Post by meggit »

do you know ive been raw feeding buddy for nearly 2 years now and had never thought of buying a whole chicken and chopping it up will have to think about this and how to work it out as hes not a big dog and only has 2 chicken wings a day ( he does have red meat as well heart and liver chopped up and frozen into ice cubes and has 2 of those a day) so the question is can i chop the whole chicken up into small enough chunks to keep buddy the fit heathy weight hes getting back to hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

My dog is 6lbs, he has one chicken leg/equivalent on average per day. I remove the breast meat to make a meal for us then take off:

Legs
Wings with shoulder attached and some rib

That's 4 meals

The rest I give him to eat as much as he wants each day as he self regulates his intake. Last piece was huge and lasted 4 days :D

Way to go Dawnflight by the way :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids