help

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

meggit

help

Post by meggit »

poor bud has been given one of those stupid collars to stop him licking at his wound and hes going mad he hates it poor thing is panic struck any ideas what i can do to help him
JudyN

Re: help

Post by JudyN »

How long has he had it on for?

They do freak them out at first but if you are able to get through the first few hours they will adapt - which is preferable to them making a big mess of the wound which will them take longer to heal. Jasper just stood there, not able to work out how to move, and if he bumped into a doorway he would have just stood there for hours not knowing what to do. It's heartbreaking to see but can be worth it in the long run. So I'd try distraction in every form you can think of to take his mind off it, and brave it out as long as he's 'just' looking traumatised and disoriented and downright miserable.

Alternatively, you could try leaving it off for a while to see if he'll leave his wound alone (the occasional lick won't matter), or try putting a pair of boxer shorts on him (back to front, tail through the fly).

I bought Jasper a Comfy Cone http://www.allfourpaws.com/index.php which was certainly more comfortable for sleeping in, though it is opaque and relatively bulky for a long-nosed dog. I think it's better than the standard plastic types, but unless you can buy them locally, by the time you got one he may not need it anyway. Oh, and watch out for loud noises - I think the collar funnels them in, so traffic noise, TV, or you raising your voice may be amplified...
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I don't use the cone ones. I've never had a dog overlick, but that doesn't mean none of them do. You can get big fat collars like flotation armbands that are much easier on a dog.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
meggit

Post by meggit »

oh nettle where can i find one of those collars poor buddy is so stressed out by this cone one his whole body language and look is one of complete and utter distress i did try to not put the collar on but he started to like and pick at the wound so i am concerned that he would over lick it
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Try googling for 'inflatable dog collar' and you should find plenty.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Dawnflight1984

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

http://www.kongcompany.com/en-uk/produc ... ud-collar/

This is the Kong brand one. I find them a little on the small side though and Oreo uses one 2 sizes up to prevent her from doing her acrobatic twists to reach her bits, paws and all when she has an allergy flare up. It's really comfy for the dog, mine at least, who thinks it's just a nice pillow extension to her collar (you can thread a collar through it) and she'll actually pull it out and lie on it like a pillow when she doesn't have it on!