FLEAS!!

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

yummybagel

FLEAS!!

Post by yummybagel »

I am visiting my friend's house for several weeks in Los Angeles, and on around second or third day of being here, I found him itching more than usual. So I flea combed him, and found two fleas and several little round things. I can't tell if they were flea eggs or flea waste. Now I'm worried that my friend's house might have fleas. I've went around and sprayed the room that he is staying at with Raid Flea Killer because I got so paranoid. How long does it usually take for a flea infestation? I really don't want my friend to suffer flea bites and having to treat her home..Any ideas on dealing with fleas other than Frontline? I have my dog on raw right now..

I've had flea infestation at home a long time ago, and that was a huge pain..
rnor1120

Re: FLEAS!!

Post by rnor1120 »

Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum!

Most flea meds/bombs don't treat the pupal stage (basically a cocoon before the adult flea hatches out). These fall on the floor and into cracks and carpets and wait until they're mature and they can sense an animal approaching. Best way to get rid of those is vacuuming.

If your dog is current with flea meds, like Frontline, you shouldn't have to worry too much about him becoming infested. Yes, you will see some fleas on him but there shouldn't be a full blown infestation. Continue flea combing and if you see an increasing number of them it might be time to talk to the vet about switching meds. If the infestation gets severe, there's a quick acting pill your vet can give that will drop them all dead pretty fast. Vets often carry flea treatments for the environment too.

Just because you found a few fleas on your dog doesn't necessarily mean the house has an infestation, either. He may have walked into a "hotspot" during a walk or at the park or something. Are there other animals in the house and are they itchy? Are the humans in the house itchy or noticing red bumps on their skin?
yummybagel

Post by yummybagel »

No, he is the only animal in the house, and no one's complained about getting bitten. He hasn't been itching after I flea combed him, so I'm a little bit relieved :wink:
Actually, he is currently not on Frontline. He was on it last month, but I didn't medicate him this month because I wasn't comfortable with dousing him with chemicals. Instead, I've been feeding him ground up and frozen vegetables with some garlic mixed in. I have read in the forums about mixing Neem Oil into shampoo and using that along with flea meds (but medicated less frequently). Any opinions on that??
lucyandbella

Post by lucyandbella »

If you read the papers that come in the frontline box it says protection against fleas can last up to three months, though monthly dosage is recommended if the dog has flea allergy dermatitis (something I think the company doesn't like people to know since they don't put it right on the box). Frontline doesn't keep fleas off it just kills them when they are on the dog, so hopefully this was a case of the fleas just not being dead yet if he had a dose last month. I only dose my dogs if I am going where ticks are, or if fleas are on them and they haven't had the frontline in the last three months (and one of mine does have flea bite dermatitis)...so for where I live only a few times a year. This way you don't have to put chemicals on your dog every month.

If it was just a couple of fleas though I wouldn't worry too much but keep checking him. Mine have had a couple of fleas before but no infestation has ever happened. I would only worry if the round things you saw were eggs. As for what flea waste looks like, it actually looks like dirt and that’s why people call it flea dirt. If you want to see if it is flea waste gather some on a white paper towel and add a tiny bit of water. The flea dirt will turn red.
rnor1120

Post by rnor1120 »

yummybagel wrote: Actually, he is currently not on Frontline. He was on it last month, but I didn't medicate him this month because I wasn't comfortable with dousing him with chemicals. Instead, I've been feeding him ground up and frozen vegetables with some garlic mixed in. I have read in the forums about mixing Neem Oil into shampoo and using that along with flea meds (but medicated less frequently). Any opinions on that??
The dose for the monthly prophylaxes are so low that toxicity is unlikely, unless your dog were to ingest it. I've put a spot-on on my dog once monthly since I adopted him almost two years ago and have never had a problem. The Frontline will kill any fleas on your dog. So, should the house you're staying in have a flea infestation, treating him would be advised because anything that jumps on him dies.

In terms of the garlic, there's been new research suggesting that it actually induces a type of anemia in dogs (there's a post under the health section where I've posted a couple papers). It's a relatively new area of concern, and a not a whole lot has been done, but the papers coming out suggest that it may actually be toxic. I can't say one way or the other because I know that lots of people do give their dogs garlic and to their knowledge have never had a problem with it.

I've never heard of neem oil before, but I did a quick search on it. In theory it looks like it should work, but I've got no experience with it.
yummybagel

Post by yummybagel »

lucyandbella wrote:If you read the papers that come in the frontline box it says protection against fleas can last up to three months, though monthly dosage is recommended if the dog has flea allergy dermatitis (something I think the company doesn't like people to know since they don't put it right on the box). Frontline doesn't keep fleas off it just kills them when they are on the dog, so hopefully this was a case of the fleas just not being dead yet if he had a dose last month. I only dose my dogs if I am going where ticks are, or if fleas are on them and they haven't had the frontline in the last three months (and one of mine does have flea bite dermatitis)...so for where I live only a few times a year. This way you don't have to put chemicals on your dog every month.

If it was just a couple of fleas though I wouldn't worry too much but keep checking him. Mine have had a couple of fleas before but no infestation has ever happened. I would only worry if the round things you saw were eggs. As for what flea waste looks like, it actually looks like dirt and that’s why people call it flea dirt. If you want to see if it is flea waste gather some on a white paper towel and add a tiny bit of water. The flea dirt will turn red.
I did not know that Frontline lasts three months :shock: Before I used to medicate him religiously every month because I didn't want any infestation but recently I didn't like how I always had to put chemicals on him so I decided to medicate him less frequently. This month was actually the first month that I skipped, so I've been very paranoid. It seems like the round things are flea waste. I've tried rubbing them against wet paper towel and they turned red..
rnor1120 wrote:In terms of the garlic, there's been new research suggesting that it actually induces a type of anemia in dogs (there's a post under the health section where I've posted a couple papers). It's a relatively new area of concern, and a not a whole lot has been done, but the papers coming out suggest that it may actually be toxic. I can't say one way or the other because I know that lots of people do give their dogs garlic and to their knowledge have never had a problem with it.

I've never heard of neem oil before, but I did a quick search on it. In theory it looks like it should work, but I've got no experience with it.
Hmm I've heard large amounts of garlic can cause amnemia...Maybe I should give him less garlic just in case..I've ordered a small amount of Neem oil. I think I'll try it out. If it doesn't work, I heard it's fantastic on human skin, so I'll use it! (I'll use it even if it does work on him :) )
Dawnflight1984

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

Neem oil smells strong (anything that smells strong to you is many times worse for your dog, remember that! =D) so do use it really sparingly.

You can try rubbing diatomaceous earth in your dog's coat and that will kill the remaining fleas by drying them out. Apple Cider Vinegar is my go-to "drug" of choice because it really repels the bugs and doesn't harm the dog - doesn't even dry out the coat like DE! I just mix up a spray bottle of organic ACV (with the "mother) and water and then spray on my dog's coat (don't worry about the salad smell, once the vinegar dries, you will have your usual nice-smelling dog back, it gets rid of any bad odours on your dog too!) I add a little ACV in my dog's drinking water too so she's got it both inside and out. So far, hasn't had any issues with fleas or ticks with this formula. (Keeping my fingers crossed that we'll be able to keep things this way!)
yummybagel

Post by yummybagel »

Dawnflight1984 wrote:Neem oil smells strong (anything that smells strong to you is many times worse for your dog, remember that! =D) so do use it really sparingly.

You can try rubbing diatomaceous earth in your dog's coat and that will kill the remaining fleas by drying them out. Apple Cider Vinegar is my go-to "drug" of choice because it really repels the bugs and doesn't harm the dog - doesn't even dry out the coat like DE! I just mix up a spray bottle of organic ACV (with the "mother) and water and then spray on my dog's coat (don't worry about the salad smell, once the vinegar dries, you will have your usual nice-smelling dog back, it gets rid of any bad odours on your dog too!) I add a little ACV in my dog's drinking water too so she's got it both inside and out. So far, hasn't had any issues with fleas or ticks with this formula. (Keeping my fingers crossed that we'll be able to keep things this way!)
Oh yes, I've been using Neem oil on my face and my goodnes that thing smells :shock: I felt so bad because I put a drop of it on his collar, and that was before I realized how bad it was.
robinson

Post by robinson »

take your pet to some pet hospital and give treatment to your pet by some professional pet doctor. They give you the best solution and remove this problem of fleas. orange county veterinary hospital