tiny ticks

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bthompson

tiny ticks

Post by bthompson »

I need advice please! Sept 1 i started my puppies on trifexis which takes care of worms and fleas but not ticks. I switched them to this under the vets recommendation because advantix did not work on the fleas. I am currently house training which has been tough but we're getting there. Here's my dilemma. I routinely check them for ticks and hadn't found any until this afternoon when they took a bath. They are completely white so when they were wet, i could see tiny specks all over their feet. I sat for an hour plucking ticks from their legs and in between their toes. Now i don't want to take them back out. I don't know what to do. I can't switch their preventative for 2 more weeks and i obviously have a nest of them little boogers in my yard. I don't want to back track on potty training but i can't bathe them everyday to find these ticks. Any thoughts?
rnor1120

Re: tiny ticks

Post by rnor1120 »

You can always add in a monthly spot-on, like Frontline (imidacloprid). This will take care of both fleas and ticks (and I can't remember, but I believe it also handles mites and chewing lice as well).
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

I can't offer you any advice, but I was wondering about your experience with Trifexis. Previously, my dog has been on Heartguard for heartworm and something else for fleas. Our vet switched us to Trifexis a few months ago. Our issue with it is that Max throws up after taking Trifexis unless he has a super full stomach. We have to feed him 1/2 to 1 can of wet dog food with the Trifexis hidden in there. Have you had any issues with Trifexis?
--dontpugme
bthompson

Post by bthompson »

Yes, they have only taken one dose but both of them got sick. It is supposed to be taken with food and my dogs only nibble so that could be the reason. I did email the vets office so i should hear from him by Monday.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Frontline does nothing to deter ticks, it just kills them within 72 hours of them attaching.

Have you had a problem with fleas? Personally I use something that deters ticks from biting as we have more problems with them than fleas. And I thought Advantix worked for both fleas and ticks anyway?

I hate to say it but even using chemicals to deter them tick removal is a daily thing here during the summer.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

I also use Trifexis. My vet told me many dogs throw up the first time or two that they take it, but most dogs will adjust and stop this by the second or third month, but of course, giving it on a full stomach is the way to go. Piper never did throw hers up, but my vet also told me that if they do throw up within one hour of taking it, it has to be regiven. (She told me if that happened, she would give me another pill for free - just something to ask your vet about since this is an expensive treatment). But if the dog throws up more than an hour after giving it, then consider the dog properly dosed for that month. :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Have you given your yard a thorough check to see if there is an obvious source that you can get rid of? Just a thought that might help :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
bthompson

Post by bthompson »

I received advantix in their puppy pack from the vet. I applied it but the tube was so small i barely saw any medication come out. I started taking them outside and they became covered in fleas. The vet actually let me switch them to trifexis two weeks early. This works great at killing fleas. I think i will have to treat my yard. This morning i took them to my driveway for potty. I am also gonna keep an extra good lookout for ticks on their feet. I didn't want to take them out but we've gone too far in house training to go back to using a litter box. I'm gonna talk to the vet about frontline. From what i
hear, it has shown to provide good results.
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Suzette wrote:my vet also told me that if they do throw up within one hour of taking it, it has to be regiven. (She told me if that happened, she would give me another pill for free - just something to ask your vet about since this is an expensive treatment). But if the dog throws up more than an hour after giving it, then consider the dog properly dosed for that month. :D
Sorry to hijack the thread. Definitely asking if Mr. Vet will give us a free pill if he throws up within one hour. He was still throwing up after about 4 months of being on Trifexis before we started increasing his food intake on meds days.
--dontpugme
bthompson

Post by bthompson »

Just an update- I heard back from my vet today. They also think I have a nest of ticks in my yard and should treat it. They also said that I could use Preventic flea collar with the trifexis safely and that it lasts for three months. But I am going to treat my yard first. I haven't heard about anyone using that collar so I think I'll wait on that. Thanks for all the input! :D