Mucous in poop again!

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Dawnflight1984

Mucous in poop again!

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

So I gave Oreo a piece of beef tail RMB (about palm size piece, 200g) on Sunday night. She has'nt had any RMBs in a while (since mid June) for various reasons, so she had been having lean meat with no bones.

Since her RMB on Sunday night, she has been having mucousy poop till today! The ones on Monday, I'm fairly sure, came from the bone, because the mucous covered poop was grey, which I presume came from the bone. But the mucousy poop yesterday and today are greenish? I have been supplementing with half a teaspoon of slippery elm powder (that I mix into a gel), probiotics and probiotics with every dinner. I dont know if it is because the marrow in the RMB is just too rich for her, or if it is due to other reasons.

Last weekend, while we were at the dog park for Oreo's agility training, there was some old poop left by some inconsiderate owners. While Oreo wasn't too interested in the smelly pile, I am not too sure if she stepped in it at all, so I don't know if she brought worms home with her, causing the mucous. She is due for her next deworming this weekend and her regular checkup with her vet next Wednesday in any case.

Her poop is not smellier or bigger than usual, just a little soft, off colour and has parts of it coated in mucous.

Should I be concerned and bring her to the vet? Or can I continue to adopt the wait and see approach? She is otherwise well, bouncy, curious and silly as usual.
dontpugme

Re: Mucous in poop again!

Post by dontpugme »

I know that this is absolutely no help to you, but I just wanted to say that I get reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaally weird looks in school when I read the Health, Diet and Exercise section of the forum. :? :lol: :lol: :roll: :lol: puppy vaginitis and now mucousy poop
--dontpugme
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Don't worry about it :)

Give her some vegetables/fruit in whatever form she'll take it , and all should resolve.

If you can get some charcoal biscuits, a couple of those might be a help too. They soak up excess grot in the intestines.

She won't get worms from stepping in poop - worms have a complex development cycle and they aren't spread that way.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Dawnflight1984

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

Thanks, Nettle!
Dawnflight1984

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

I hope it's ok to revive this again, but I'm getting bothered by this.

When Oreo went to the vet 2 wednesdays ago, I mentioned that she had mucous in her poop for a good week. Oreo was given 3 doses of Fasigyn to get rid of any protozoan parasite. It worked well for a while and she was producing tiny perfect poops for almost 2 weeks.

But yesterday, the mucous came back again. This time, it is accompanied by copious amount of soft but formed poop both yesterday and today. There had been no change in diet and routines (except that I added a teaspoon of diatomaceous earth to her dinner yesterday and today in case it was caused by worms) so I am at a loss as to what could possibly have introduced irritants to her digestive system again.

Any simple yet effective recipes for charcoal biscuits? The only kind of medicated charcoal I have are the pills that I got OTC at the pharmacy. Otherwise should I just give Oreo 1/2 a tablet direct, will that help? Hope to hear from you soon!