Tea Tree Shampooing & dry skin

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ladybug1802

Tea Tree Shampooing & dry skin

Post by ladybug1802 »

Dylan has always been an itchy dog but he has got more itchy recently. I have looked him all over continuously for fleas or flea dirt but can find nothing.....all it seems is he has very dry flaky skin so when I rub his fur in places dandruff comes up.

I am changing his diet to Natural Dog Food Company stuff which is 100% natural and holistic....but is it worth bathing him in something like tea tree in case there is some allergic reaction there or one flea that has remainded incredibly well hidden....or might that make dry skin sorse?
Nettle

Re: Tea Tree Shampooing & dry skin

Post by Nettle »

Not tea tree. It's more than twelve times stronger than pure carbolic, so while it has a good place in anyone's medicine cabinet, it isn't best for bathing.

IME skin improves when the 'inner dog' is comfortable, and extra flaky may be a part of the healing process ie old skin sloughing off as new skin forms.

I'd be experimenting with oily supplements - fish in oil or tomato, a glop of olive oil on food, fatty meat etc. Not too much and not near bedtime as it can sometimes have an interesting effect on the bowels. :shock:

Also nettles, spinach and watercress are brilliant skin improvers - cook the nettles, liquidise the watercress and spinach. Or you can feed the blend from Dorwest Herbs.

Sometimes itchy skin is an indication of thyroid issues or similar, but I believe you have had all this tested?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Ah sorry - didnt mean neat tea tree...meant tea tree shampoo! Sorry - that wasnt clear!

He hasnt been tested for thyroid issues no...because he cant have blood taken yet without being knocked out. He lets the vet touch him on the shoulder now....but not at the stage to examine him yet :(

He has been on oily fish for aaagess...and he has also had Dorwests Mixed Veg tablets and Garlic & Fenugreek...made no difference :( :(

Its a puzzler....I mean I guess his increased itchiness could in part be due to the season...as it has only been fairly recently hes got more itchy. Am changing his diet, but other thyan that am stumped as to what to do for the best with him.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Useful article on this in September (out today) issue of Dogs Monthly. Might be able to give you some pointers. I haven't read it properly but I know the vet. and he is excellent - not like many magazine vets!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Ah thanks Nettle....will go buy it tomorrow!
kronolight

Post by kronolight »

Thanks for sharing

Fog Machine For Sale