Heartworm Medication

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

yummybagel

Re: Heartworm Medication

Post by yummybagel »

:shock: :shock:

Ok, now I'm having second thoughts about going to that particular vet. I've talked to two receptionists in that clinic, and both of them were very matter-of-fact-ish about heartworms. They looked at me silly for being so worried about heartworm. I asked the first receptionist for a heartworm test and he gave me that "why?" look. Pity though since it was located literally at 10 mintues walking distance from where I live.

I can no longer get Wormshield because I've changed vets, and I can't get Revolution because I've already put Bagel on a flea med. I guess I can get Heartguard but the vet clinic seems somehow very reluctant to give him the heartworm test....But Heartguard seems to be my only choice.
rnor1120

Post by rnor1120 »

Just out of curiosity, which flea med was it?

Also, I should correct myself, I did screw up one detail in the life cycle - the larvae live in the skin for 3-4 months, not 1. BUT, they're only immature for one month of that. I knew I had a detail mixed up there :roll: .
rnor1120

Post by rnor1120 »

Oh, and as an FYI - Heartguard and Iverhart have the same drug ingredients as WormShield.
yummybagel

Post by yummybagel »

rnor1120 wrote:Just out of curiosity, which flea med was it?

Also, I should correct myself, I did screw up one detail in the life cycle - the larvae live in the skin for 3-4 months, not 1. BUT, they're only immature for one month of that. I knew I had a detail mixed up there :roll: .
I have him on Pet Armor right now. I know it's not the best one but it had the same ingredients as Frontline. I've had very little wiggle room for my budget lately so I had to go with the cheaper one.

And since you're in Vet school, rnor1120, can I ask you if it's normal for a dog to sleep alot? I know I should be asking my vet this, but....I kind of don't have a vet at this moment, nor the money to pay a consultation fee. So sorry, but can I take advantage of your knowledge?
rnor1120

Post by rnor1120 »

I'm always happy to share knowledge :D .
yummybagel wrote:can I ask you if it's normal for a dog to sleep alot?
Depends. Has he always slept a lot, or is this something brand new? What is the weather like in SoCal at the moment? How much exercise does he get? My dog acts like a big lazy oaf on hot days or days that I feel like taking long walks. If he's fine otherwise - alert and responsive, eating and drinking normally, no fever, no coughing/vomiting/diarrhea/messes in the house, gums nice and pink - and it's not something that he just started doing he's probably okay. You could always try bumping up the mental stimulation he gets - puzzles, training, etc. I know on days when I'm busy studying and Chance doesn't get a whole lot of attention or training, he tends to sleep more.

That being said, if you ever have any concern, you should call a vet.
yummybagel

Post by yummybagel »

rnor1120 wrote:Depends. Has he always slept a lot, or is this something brand new? What is the weather like in SoCal at the moment? How much exercise does he get? My dog acts like a big lazy oaf on hot days or days that I feel like taking long walks. If he's fine otherwise - alert and responsive, eating and drinking normally, no fever, no coughing/vomiting/diarrhea/messes in the house, gums nice and pink - and it's not something that he just started doing he's probably okay. You could always try bumping up the mental stimulation he gets - puzzles, training, etc. I know on days when I'm busy studying and Chance doesn't get a whole lot of attention or training, he tends to sleep more.

That being said, if you ever have any concern, you should call a vet.
He used to sleep when I'm not doing anything with him, but these days it seems like he only gets up for walks. When I try to play with him, he sometimes seems sort of uninterested. But then again, the weather here has been so hot.. :roll: He's actually vomitted today and the day before yesterday. He is able to poop, and he doesn't look sick minus the sleeping. If he vomits again, I would have to take him to the vet near my house. But it's also a part of adjusting to new climates and places, I guess.

Also, how often does a dog need to be dewormed? Before Bagel got dewormed at least two times a year at a vet's office and the wormshield pills took care of worms too.
rnor1120

Post by rnor1120 »

yummybagel wrote:Also, how often does a dog need to be dewormed? Before Bagel got dewormed at least two times a year at a vet's office and the wormshield pills took care of worms too.
Once or twice a year is adequate. I opt for every 12 months because as you said, the monthly heartworm meds take care of GI parasites as well.