Dog Foods

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

CarolineLovesDogs

Dog Foods

Post by CarolineLovesDogs »

Hello!
I just wanted to see what types of dog food you feed your dog if you think really like it- think it is very nutritious and good quality but is also within reason for spending. We don't just want any type of commercial, crummy chow for our beloved canine but we also don't want to spend a fortune. Don't worry, our budget is large, I just mean we don't possibly need the most expensive brand of food on the market if possible :wink: :lol: :P :) :D We are slowly going to change are dog's food brand (as a quick change isn't good in dog's diet) and wanted suggestion's on good quality food.
Thanks! Take care!
bendog

Re: Dog Foods

Post by bendog »

Raw - cheap (ish), easy once you know what you are doing, and just about the best food a dog can get (they are designed to eat meat/bones - you don't need teeth like that just to eat kibble :) )

Before Raw I was feeding James wellbeloved grain free. But heard that food has gone downhill in quality lately.
Orijen is about the best kibble you can get - but probably more expensive than raw food!
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Raw here. Costs me around the same to feed it as it does to feed a reasonable but not brilliant dog food. Certainly cheaper than the top of the range dry foods!
Erica

Post by Erica »

I'd be feeding raw if I thought there was the slightest chance i could get the rest of the family on board...but I was able to get them to switch to Taste of the Wild, which the dogs love and are doing well on. :) it's high quality but, at least at our stores, cheaper than Orijen by a considerable amount.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Raw here too, wouldn't feed any other way personally :D .

If you do consider Taste of the Wild then be aware that they have had a huge recall recently which IMO they have not handled well at all and they are being slapped with a class action law suit. Take a look at this website for more details (http://poisonedpets.com/2012/05/05/your ... d-recalls/).
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
CarolineLovesDogs

Thanks everyone for all of the time, suggestions and input. Looks like raw diets are pretty popular around here! My family and I wasn't even aware that they were a big thing!
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

before going RAW I was feeding EVO to Jack. Heard good things about Orijen, but no experience with them.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Aiaiai, after looking at that website and seeing the recent news about how they're handling the recall...I'm going to start researching other possible diets...not sure parents are ready to feed the dogs raw, but my dad just said that I "...need to fix whatever's wrong with Emmy" (who is our cat with tummy troubles), so I'm taking that as permission to get her on a species-appropriate diet. :twisted: And if they see how easy that is and if I can convince them it's as cheap as feeding a decent kibble...

Well, what seemed impossible this morning is looking like a possibility. I would be so happy if I could get our animals on raw.

(Sister's sugar gliders are on as close to a raw diet as is possible with suggies - they get fresh fruits and veggies, but it has to be supplemented with a...supplement that includes some special stuff that they get from certain plants in Australia which are just not feasible to feed here in the US. So we're 4/9 for raw if you include my shrimp, which I don't think you should, so 2/7. :P )
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
abbyneo

Post by abbyneo »

We recently switched from Taste of the Wild to Fromm, and my girls get veggies, fruit, yogurt, pumpkin, raw bones in addition to some plain kibble..I figure I'd get bored if I ate the same thing at every meal, so I like to switch it up for them.

TOTW recall was enough to push me away from them. Fromm is similar price-wise and still grain free and made in the US by a family company.
CarolineLovesDogs

Thanks everyone for the continued replies! My family wants to continue the dry food diet but they are willing to get really good quality food so we are picking Orijen. I guess my mom's worried because she wouldn't feed raw food to her human babies so no amount of convincing will get her to feed it to the canines :wink:
Thanks for the input! By the way, I don't think you have to worry about MY dogs being bored, abbyneo, they'll eat JUST about anything.:) :lol: :lol:
Dawnflight1984

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

CarolineLovesDogs wrote:Thanks everyone for the continued replies! My family wants to continue the dry food diet but they are willing to get really good quality food so we are picking Orijen. I guess my mom's worried because she wouldn't feed raw food to her human babies so no amount of convincing will get her to feed it to the canines :wink:
Thanks for the input! By the way, I don't think you have to worry about MY dogs being bored, abbyneo, they'll eat JUST about anything.:) :lol: :lol:
Haha! Just last night a friend was telling me her dog's vet asked if she would eat meat raw when she broached the subject of raw feeding. My first thoughts really, is this, whether it's my friend, the vet or your mum feeding human babies, we won't feed them processed kibbles all their lives either.

Although I have fed Oreo raw for only 2 weeks now, had some teething problems at first and some fears on my part, I have come to calm down a lot and Oreo is doing so much better. Less hyperactive, still fast and active, fun-loving and with good skin and brilliant coat! :)

Orijen is not for every dog even though it is without a doubt one of the best around. Oreo had a short stint eating Orijen. Firstly, we couldn't stand the strong smell (we were feeding fish formula). Then we realised she wasn't doing too well on it - not growing (she's a puppy still) although she loved the smelly food! It's really worth a try still! :)
CarolineLovesDogs

Dawnflight1984 wrote:
CarolineLovesDogs wrote:Thanks everyone for the continued replies! My family wants to continue the dry food diet but they are willing to get really good quality food so we are picking Orijen. I guess my mom's worried because she wouldn't feed raw food to her human babies so no amount of convincing will get her to feed it to the canines :wink:
Haha! Just last night a friend was telling me her dog's vet asked if she would eat meat raw when she broached the subject of raw feeding. My first thoughts really, is this, whether it's my friend, the vet or your mum feeding human babies, we won't feed them processed kibbles all their lives either.

Although I have fed Oreo raw for only 2 weeks now, had some teething problems at first and some fears on my part, I have come to calm down a lot and Oreo is doing so much better. Less hyperactive, still fast and active, fun-loving and with good skin and brilliant coat! :)

Orijen is not for every dog even though it is without a doubt one of the best around. Oreo had a short stint eating Orijen. Firstly, we couldn't stand the strong smell (we were feeding fish formula). Then we realised she wasn't doing too well on it - not growing (she's a puppy still) although she loved the smelly food! It's really worth a try still! :)
I'm glad Orea is doing better now with raw feeding! We'll have to see how our's do on Orijen! Anything will be a step up from what they were on before! Ugh! I had to convince my mom that that commercial dog food just isn't good, 'ya know? :wink: So I'm very glad they're going to a better quality one now.
Thanks!
Wes

Post by Wes »

The boys are on raw now, but before, Sampson was on Blue Wilderness and Remy was on Solid Gold Sundancer.
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Dawnflight1984 wrote:Haha! Just last night a friend was telling me her dog's vet asked if she would eat meat raw when she broached the subject of raw feeding. My first thoughts really, is this, whether it's my friend, the vet or your mum feeding human babies, we won't feed them processed kibbles all their lives either.
:lol: Brilliant! Also a lot of the very rubbish quality dog food is made by the same companies that persuade people to feed human babies their formula instead of breast milk ... hmmmm
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
CarolineLovesDogs

Wes wrote:The boys are on raw now, but before, Sampson was on Blue Wilderness and Remy was on Solid Gold Sundancer.
Thanks!