veggies

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

animalgirlxx90

veggies

Post by animalgirlxx90 »

what veggies are good dogs? my dog will eat any friut or veggies,
are brussel sprouts good for dogs??? because my dog loves them
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You can give anything except the onion family. Go easy on root veg as they are full of sugar - a little is okay but not lots.
Sprouts are fine but be careful if feeding them whole in case doggie chokes (mine love sprouts as well).
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Forgot to add - do not give corn on the cob. Maize grains are okay but not the cob itself.
animalgirlxx90

Post by animalgirlxx90 »

ok thanks,my mom laughs at me because i'll feed her some of my friuts or veggies but hanna loves them. she loves bananas to the point she's chewed on my moms banana tree(my mom wasn't happy :evil: ) but she only did it once. is there any friuts i shouldn't give her other than grapes
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

No grapes or raisins, otherwise everything's okay to the best of my knowledge.

Banana dogs live here too :D
Maddie'sMom

Post by Maddie'sMom »

Maddie loves bananas and carrots... my girls espeically love strawberries.

Watch out for the pits of some fruits, such as peaches. I've heard they're a no-no :wink:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Oh yes, always take out pits and stones.
animalgirlxx90

Post by animalgirlxx90 »

lol u name it my dog eats it,she's the first dog i've seen that eats so many different fruits and veggies.my dad picks of me and says i turned my dog into a vegetarian (because i dont eat meat most of the time).
hanna loves strawberries too and any melon
KMH62955

Post by KMH62955 »

Just be careful most fruits will give animals diarrhea in large doses.
Kim
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

Watermelon is Molly's favorite I leave about 1in fruit on the rind and let her go mad.

She's one of those weirdo's that will eat any fruit/veg you give her... which means of course that we have to watch what ppl offer (I had to scold my Sister in Law for offering an onion :? luckily Molly only ate a small amount and suffered no ill effects... and I got to chew out SIL :D)

Like us, the extra fiber from fruits and veggies very often loosens the stool of our dogs, if the dog partakes in them frequently (and they are not considered a hazardous food) their bodies adjust and their bowels regulate
When we first started feeding Molly raw and cooked veggies she had a bit of an upset tummy (to say the least... ) they're now a regular part of her diet and training regime and we haven't had any trouble
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

oh bother. I forgot to add, to ask your vet about tomatoes. As they're from the nightshade family I know that vines and leaves are dangerous to dogs but there are arguments about whether the raw fruit (or veg. depending on your side of that argument)
Molly gets them every now and then but not a lot or often. She loves apples, will lick lemons until she drools all over the place and we're wetting ourselves and likes sliced plums, peaches, kiwi and mango...
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
Hope

Post by Hope »

My miniature schnauzer adores vegetables. He goes mad for carrots (his "good boy, you rang the bell to go outside a potty like a big guy!" treat), celery, broccoli, cucumber, etc. He also loves cherry tomatoes, but they make him itch ferociously, so I have to keep an eye out for guests slipping them to him from their salad bowls :lol:

His favorite snack in the world, though, is a big fat apple slice with peanut butter smeared on it. It's hell to get it out of his schnauzer beard, but he adores it.