Dog food according to size

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

danastinson

Dog food according to size

Post by danastinson »

I was feeding Coco Old Roy but now I was reading reveiws on it and am totaly scared of it. I need to buy dog food today (since I'm out) but everything that I look at says big dog small dog or something to that effect. Coco will eat anything but she starts to smell bad when it doesnt settle in her stomach. Anything that I would consider food is out of the question so I can not cook her food or do the raw diet. Maya my little dog doesnt seem to mind what I feed her. I'm not sure I can afford a high priced dog food and if possible would like to buy just one bag. Is that even possible?
abbyneo

Re: Dog food according to size

Post by abbyneo »

There are plenty of kibble options that are affordable, and you'll find that the better quality food that you buy, the less you'll have to feed, the less your dog will poo, etc. so it ends up saving you money. www.dogfoodadvisor.com or their facebook page is a good place to start your research. And there are plenty of raw supporters on this forum that can advise you of that option and help you get started :)
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

And don't forget to take advantage of coupons or store club card benefits! Many times, I've used a coupon, our Petsmart Pet Perks card, and a sale they were having to get two bags of a good kibble for less than the price of a bag of a cheaper lower quality food.
--dontpugme
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

where do you live? just giving country and or providence/state is all that would be needed. I ask because sometimes there are regional differences to what is available.

high quality dog food aren't that big a difference in cost when you factor in you feed less. the more real food that went into making the dog food verse mystery meal from parts of the animal least likely to be eaten, the less corn, grains, wheat etc. the less food you actually need to feed your dog. which makes the more "expensive" food last longer.

can you give us a little more info about your dogs? how big, what breeds etc. generally speaking you should be able to buy one size of food, but for every "rule" there are exceptions.
danastinson

Post by danastinson »

I live in Utah in the US. I have a pit bull and a Chuhuaha/min pin mix. I recently bought Advantage from Pets Smart. Thanks for the web site link it helped alot and I also talked to my dogs trainer and he sad that advantage wasnt to bad. I think I will add a little fruit and veggies to their dog food every once in a while. I was giving my Pit a egg once a week but she had a sensitive stomace when it comes to eating anything but dog food.
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

Ol Roy is pretty much the worst food out there unfortunately. You will feed less of a higher quality food, but it will still likely end up being more expensive. It's very possible though that you'll make up for it in less vet bills. Do you have a link or list of ingredients for advantage dog food? I don't know it off of the top of my head. I wouldn't add fruits and veggies, if anything I'd add meat. Dogs are mainly carnivorous, so more meat is better.