What food?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Drunkentulip

What food?

Post by Drunkentulip »

Can someone help me please?
I have got a 2 year old springer spaniel and I sm concerned about his diet.
Since he was about 3 months old he has been fed James wellbeloved dry food.he has always had runny poo and the vet stated that using probiotic yoghurt would help.this has helped slightly however he has continued to have runny stools usually on walks.The get this could be due to over excitement.he has also always eaten grass however the past 2-3 months he has started eating a lot more of it.last week he had diarrhoea,do he was starved for 24 hours before going on a bland diet of chicken and rice.this helped a lot and we have now introduced his normal food with the rice.I always thought that eating grass was a sign of a bad stomach.he is fine in himself still very excitable and lots of energy.we are planning another trip to the vets but I do worry
Drunkentulip

Re: What food?

Post by Drunkentulip »

By the way sorry about the spelling.get should mean vet
Erica

Post by Erica »

Sometimes a food just doesn't agree with a certain dog. While I have heard that Wellbeloved is a decent food (I haven't fed it myself so I can't really comment on it), even good foods might not work with a certain dog. I would think about trying another good, grain-free kibble (Taste of the Wild and Orijen are both great) or, if you're up to it, feeding raw. We have a really great thread on raw feeding. :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

Hi not sure how useful this is but we went through a stage with Pepper where nothing seemed to agree with her, turns out its chicken, anything with chicken in it gives her the runs. Might be worth going through a trial and error period with different foods (introduce slowly and try for a month or two). Pepper has settled on Wainwrights Lamb and Rice and we're so releived as it is really stressful trying to figure out what's wrong.
Pictures of Pepper viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14364
bendog

Post by bendog »

I've always liked JWB food. Perhaps try a different variety (e.g. grain free such as turkey and veg, or lamb and veg), or as Erica suggested a different kibble, or switch to raw.

If you find like Rachael that he is sensitive to a certain ingredient such as chicken then you will have to be really careful reading ingredients lists as many foods may be advertised as "Lamb" for example, but also contain other meats - the label will likely read "meat and animal derivitives (4% lamb)" or similar so make sure whatever you feed is good quality.