Mast cell tumor?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bcarr519

Mast cell tumor?

Post by bcarr519 »

Hi everyone! My dog was recently diagnosed with a mast cell tumor and of course the vet told us she will need a surgery that will cost $300. We got our dog in September, and she did have a tiny little red spot that grew into a lump, which was the reason for our visit. However, it has now been a few weeks (DH is laid off and we do not have $300 to get the surgery until he goes back to work) and the lump has gone from red to normal colored and has pretty much flattened out. In addition, some parts have hair, some don't. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with MCT's. We are currently scheduled for a second opinion on Tuesday.
abbyneo

Re: Mast cell tumor?

Post by abbyneo »

I wanted to respond to this so it would get bumped up toward the top of the forum and hopefully someone will see it and be able to help you out. I myself don't have any experience but hopefully someone will. Good luck with your second opinion.
easilyconfused

Re: Mast cell tumor?

Post by easilyconfused »

I'm not entirely sure what the question is tbh.

Why are you going for a second opinion? Did your vet not perform a biopsy on the lump to see if it was malignant? If it is one (a highly locally invasive skin cancer) then sell your teeth and get it removed as it can quickly spread to your dogs liver/bone marrow etc.
Mast cells can grow, and shrink quite rapidly that is part of the sign that they are cancerous.

It seems to me that you are under financial hardships and trying to justify your lack of action to your self. I can understand this but if it was me in this position I would be selling my possessions on e-bay to raise the money right now. These things get worse with time not better.
Sorry if this sounds negative but you need to act sooner rather than later, good luck